Cloudy water after adding live sand

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by zeeter, Dec 31, 2009.

1. zeeter

zeeterWell Known MemberMember

I added live sand to my 75gl aquarium last night. The water is extremely cloudy even about 16 hours later. Is there anything that I can do to help things out? I just turned the pumps off to see if that will help at all. This is a new setup, so no fish are involved.

I wanted to add some more live sand today; 60 lbs is barely covering the bottom of the tank. What is a good way to add more sand without prolonging the cloudy problem?

2. NaeusuValued MemberMember

All that cloudiness is just from the smaller particles of sand being swished around in the water. The only way i can think of to reduce the amount of cloudiness is to very carefully and very slowly add the sand to the tank in small amounts. That will take you a much longer time and still make the water cloudy to some degree. I think it's just best to add all the sand at once (not toss it in mind you) but just get it over with. The cloudiness could take a day or two to resolve.

3. OP
    OP
    zeeter

Thanks Naeusu.

4. OP
    OP
    zeeter

So I left my pumps off overnight a viola! No more cloudiness! Then I turned my pumps back on and within 30 seconds it was cloudy again.

Should I get a cheap filter with screens and put it in the tank to get out all of the particles?

5. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Do you mean bagged live sand? That's just a marketing gimmick IMO and won't do anything to cycle or mature your tank faster. Plain aragonite sand is much cheaper and will become live eventually after you add your live rock. Just a thought if you'd like to save some money. :)

When adding sand to a tank that is already full of water, I've heard of people using a piece of PVC pipe (yes, it is aquarium safe) that reaches the bottom of the tank. Supposedly if you hold the PVC in place and pour the sand down the pipe, it gets a lot less messy.

6. OP
    OP
    zeeter

Hmm..everyplace I've read says that live sand is great. No matter; it's already in there. In the meantime I've got this cloudy water that I need to get rid of. I'm thinking of getting a cheap sponge filter or corner filter to add some mechanical filtration.

edit: a couple of hours later
    I bought a Fluval U2 underwater filter. It is rated for up to 30 gallons, but really all I want is the mechanical filtration. It will supplement my existing filtration. We'll see how it works out. I've been reading some reviews and they're all quite positive. Surprising, since I bought it at Petsmart. Not that Petsmart is bad, but I usually expect beginner stuff there and have to go to my specialty (read: overpriced) LFS for more advanced stuff.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. NaeusuValued MemberMember

If your tank got cloudy after turning your filters on i would check how strong the flow is and if possible adjust it away from the sand...it might be simple as having too strong a water current pointed at your sand bed.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

That's a really good point. Do you have any powerheads/pumps that are pointed at the sand bed?

9. OP
    OP
    zeeter

Absolutely not. That's one of the first things I did was to get them as parallel to the surface as possible without actually breaking the surface.

I may have misdiagnosed the whole cloudiness thing. While certainly the silt from the tank didn't help, it appears to have settled. I left a cup of tank water out last night and it was still cloudy this morning, which tells me that it's not the silt. I bought some live rock the other day from the LFS and I think that it is cycling, causing the cloudiness. Today it is much clearer and the pumps have been running this whole time. There's still some cloudiness, and there also seems to be some silt settling, but it is much better. I think I just need to wait it out. I'm getting ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. Bummer because I was going to buy my first fish today.

10. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

Hi their.. my 30 gallon is entering its 2nd week of its cycle... its been clear from get go... but got ammonia nitrite and nitrate all present... if ive read correctly these should eventualy at some part of my lifetime lol... return to zilch aka zero... is that correct?!

why did you not set the tank up first then gently poor the water in onto a bowl... that wil gently fill up your tank with no movement of sandbed, or small movement rather at most! Thats how i was instructed to do it. worked perfect!!!

11. ViperNew MemberMember

Correct except for the Nitrate. The ammonia will drop first to zero and the Nitrite will soon follow. The Nitrate will stay constant until you either add fish (increase in Nitrate) or do a partial water change (decrease in Nitrate). hope this helps. Once the first 2 are gone, i'd wait 2-3 days to make sure that doesn't change, then you are ready for your fish.

12. ibiaquariumsValued MemberMember

cheers cheers! :)

Im fully cycled now... i just havent been on here for a good while!

Ive got high jackers too... some inverts... they seem to be fine with my nitrate levels thoe, i want to keep more inverts but believe it will be very difficult to keep nitrate at 0... as instructed in order to keep happer inverts... any suggestions.... :)

13. NaeusuValued MemberMember

a good nitrate buster is chaetomorpha :3 it's legal (calerpa isn't in some places) and eats up the nitrates and phosphates in your tank. The best place is in your sump where it will get a lot of water flow and some light. if you have to keep it in your tank, keep it up near the light and put a barrier of rock around it to keep the herbivores away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice