Cloudy water after adding EcoBio-stone

Wakin1062

Good morning, anyone ever use a bio stone? I added one to my tank yesterday and this morning my water is a little cloudy, nitrite went way up to 2.0, ammonia 0.25, nitrate 10 PPm, ph 6.8. Water was clear yesterday.

Added this to my tank yesterday, this morning water is a little cloudy, nitrates have went way up everything else looks pretty good. Anyone else ever use this should I take it out
Not nitrates, nitrites have went way up to 2.0

AggressiveAquatics

I have once and it really did nothing. It was just an eye sore in the tank because of how big it is. Did you soak it for 24 hours like the instructions say? And do you have fish in the tank?

Wakin1062

Yes I soaked it like it said, I have 3 Wakin goldfish in the tank.

AggressiveAquatics

Wakin1062 said:
Yes I soaked it like it said, I have 3 Wakin goldfish in the tank.
Well then you should do a big water change around %50 rn because that level of nitrite is very toxic. Was your tank cycled before you added the stone?

pagoda

Just had a look at your aquarium size and the size of a Wakin when adult....I think you might need to upgrade the aquarium significantly from 45 gallons since they can reach tween 10 and 18 inches long as a mature adult. They are one of the largest variants of goldfish.

Your aquarium size currently could well be a part cause for the nitrate spike by adding the stone it just gave it a bit of extra boost.

Wakin are not generally recommended for aquariums but are more pond fish due to their adult size from what I have read from various sources. I looked them up just to check on what their care needs are and they get absolutely enormous.

YellowGuppy

I've never used one, and it looks a little gimmicky to me.

Based on a quick read on Amazon:
- Did you rinse it first?
- It says is clarifies water rapidly after 2-4 weeks (not sure how this counts as "rapidly"!), so maybe give it an entire month?

Honestly I'd call wherever you bought it, or the customer service number on the packaging/website and see if it's too late to get a refund. This is $40 you definitely don't need to spend on your tank, and that money could be put to great use buying other things (an extra air pump and sponge filter, live plants and fertilizers, reusable filter media, conditioner, etc.) that will actually be worthwhile.

Wakin1062

It was still cycling about 3 weeks and 5 days into the cycle, just set the tank up at that time

Wakin1062

I got it for $15 it was on sale I think I'm going to take it back if I can.
AggressiveAquatics said:
Well then you should do a big water change around %50 rn because that level of nitrite is very toxic. Was your tank cycled before you added the stone?
Ok I did a water change, tested the water again, we are in good shape now. If I'm going to keep these fish I'm thinking about upgrading to a 75 gallon, I think that would help a lot.
YellowGuppy said:
I've never used one, and it looks a little gimmicky to me.

Based on a quick read on Amazon:
- Did you rinse it first?
- It says is clarifies water rapidly after 2-4 weeks (not sure how this counts as "rapidly"!), so maybe give it an entire month?

Honestly I'd call wherever you bought it, or the customer service number on the packaging/website and see if it's too late to get a refund. This is $40 you definitely don't need to spend on your tank, and that money could be put to great use buying other things (an extra air pump and sponge filter, live plants and fertilizers, reusable filter media, conditioner, etc.) that will actually be worthwhile.
Yeah I am taking the stone back, I am running 2 marineland 220 canister filters in my tank. I really think that stone messed my water up, did a water change, now everything is good with water condition.

Top Bottom