Cloudy water 15 gallon

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Joelc014, Jul 22, 2015.

1. J

Joelc014 New Member Member

15 gallon tank which is about 4-5 months old has broken out with a green/white cloudy water. I recently did a 40% water change and cleaned out the filter. Any ideas what could be up? Fairly new to aquarium keeping.

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Is the tank in direct sunlight? What is the lighting period on the aquarium? What are your water paremeters? (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates) how did you clean the filter and what is the stock in your aquarium?

The more information you could provide us the better.

3. OP
    OP
    J

The tank is not in direct sunlight. My light runs about 13 hours per day. PH is currently at 7.5-8. Rinsed the filter sponge under tap. Currently have 4 guppies, and 8 neon tetras.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? The tank seems overstocked for a 15g...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    J

Nitrates are at 15ppm. Tank was all fine until after a clean when murkiness crept in soon after

25ppm*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Since you rinsed your filter with tap water you probably lost some bb, you might be having a bacterial bloom. Or an algae bloom, 13 hours is quite a long time to have your tank lights on, most people aim for around 8 hours. Try leaving the lights off for a day and see if it improves any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    J

Ok thanks, how do you reccomend cleaning your filter?

8. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Just swish it around and give it a few squeezes in old tank water or dechlorinated water, the chlorine in tap water kills good bacteria :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice