Cloudy Tank

1. whisper Well Known Member Member

I have a 10gal. tank that gets cloudy every time I fill it with treated water. I have cleaned it out with hot water each time and every time I put it together again it gets cloudy. I did this the other day with two tanks using the same mix of treated water and again this one tank turned cloudy. The other one is nice and clear. This is about the 5th time I've cleaned this tank only to have it happen again.Could this be a defective tank somehow? Has anyone else ever had this happen with a tank?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I assume it isn't cycled, since you clean it with hot water? I think cloudiness is normal in a new tank, and is supposed to clear up once the cycle is better established. But if it is not getting the opportunity to establish a bacterial colony?
    Could it be positioning? Maybe it is getting more sunlight, different temps, etc., than the other tank?

I've read a few members say they've used Clarity with some success, but personally, I'd let it be for a while and see if it gets better on its own first.

3. callichma Well Known Member Member

Strange. Is there anything on the inside of the glass that you can't see until the tank is filled?

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Whisper. Question for you. Why are you cleaning out the aquarium with hot water? Are they new tanks that you are setting up? Are you completely breaking down an established tank and refilling it? If you can elaborate a bit more it might help others to help you more. I'm a little confused here as to why you're doing what you're doing :)
    Ken

5. whisper Well Known Member Member

They are breeder tanks or grow out tanks. When this is done then I clean them out and start them over again. I do let them cycle using and old filter media from another good tank before putting anything else in them. I doubt that it is the cycling with this one tank because it never clears. Just gets cloudy and stays that way.

6. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

When you say cloudy is it like a milky cloud and is it instantly cloudy or does it take a day or so too cloud up.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Whisper. Is the tank getting enough light? Sounds like it's having a bloom.
    Ken

8. whisper Well Known Member Member

Yes it has a light and it's a watered down milky look. Usually in about two to three days it starts turning.

9. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hijack ken but when mine bloomed and CLARITY didn't work(although it did for a while) i blacked the tank out for a couple of days and only turned on the light for feeding, this cleared it. But having said that mine was probably an algae bloom. Would be interesting to see if whisper drains the whole tank and then refills from scratch.

Nick

10. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Black the tank out, i think the water column bacteiria is multiplying faster with the lights on.

And with water changes it tries to compensate for the clean water, hence the 2-3 day turning period.

11. whisper Well Known Member Member

Yes the tank gets completely emptied out. Take it to the kitchen sink and clean it out. There is a window behind it but it's not the bright side of the house. Also the other tanks are by windows and it doesn't happen to them. I will drape a dark colored towel over the back side of it and shut the light off and see what happens.

12. jaysix79 Member Member

i have the same problem with my thank.... mine is kinda yellowish brown color.. like tea.. my tank right now has no light... im suspecting is a bloom how can i stop this... the tank has no light through out the day and the room is kinda dark....

i tried putting some of those clear water drop... i didnt do anything

13. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Jay6, if your tank hasn't cycled yet that is probably why. But i'm not sure without knowing how long your tank has been set up for. CLARITY sometimes works if it's not a cycling issue.

Nick

14. jaysix79 Member Member

yeah mines been running for about 3 weeks.... soo should i just wait?..

15. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Yes m8, try and be patient. It should clear on it's own. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle.

16. jaysix79 Member Member

well i studied it in school but no about aquarium....

17. jaysix79 Member Member

cool my tank is nice and clean now... not yellowish anymore... only thing is i see little particle flying around inside.. other than that my tahnks is nice and clean looking....

thanks guys for the help