Cloudy Tank

Judith1981

Hi all,
Thank you in advance for your thoughts. I am in charge of my son's 50 gallon tank right now and I feel like I did something wrong. Everything looked fine yesterday, there are an assortment of fish to include tetras, bleeding hearts, etc. I took a sample of the water to the fish store and learned the tank was very acidic. I bought new filter things and replaced them once I got home, and did a 25% water change and then used "PH up little by little." The PH kept reading very acidic and I kept adding more and more and checking and checking. (I also added one of those "leaf" things he had - I can't remember - cappipa leaf? and I did not rinse it first I am wondering if not rinsing that leaf was the issue.... I am feeling terrible...) Then, all of a sudden, the tank looked incredibly cloudy. I freaked out and took out the leaf (it was only in there for maybe an hour) and checked the PH. The PH and all the other indicators on the strip look good, but the water is very cloudy. I woke up in a panic about it at 2am and the water was still cloudy so I did another 25 % water change. Still cloudy today. I checked the PH and the strip looks good on all counts. But it is very cloudy. Can someone please help out this mom? Thank you!

BigManAquatics

If you replaced the filter things, i am guessing you mean the cartridges? If so, the cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom.

Upvote 0

Judith1981

If you replaced the filter things, i am guessing you mean the cartridges? If so, the cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom.
Yes that is what I meant! Thank you very much. Do I need to do anything?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Yes that is what I meant! Thank you very much. Do I need to do anything?
Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates mainly and do water changes.

Upvote 0

Judith1981

Test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates mainly and do water changes.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I would not mess with the pH any more either. Just do water changes and feed. ;)

Upvote 0

DrogJustDrog

That is probably what is known as "New tank syndrome" which refers to the cloudiness ammonia creates. I don't know anything about your experience so I suggest getting the aquarium water tested. Ideally with an API master water test kit. It should be found in most pet supplies stores.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Valleriani
Replies
Views
yyxyfish
  • Question
Replies
Views