Cloudy Tank?

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's happening with my bettas tank. He's in a 25 gallon with a cleaning crew of snails and a clown pleco. Water conditioning consistently measure fine for Ph and nitrite levels, the heater and filter are both working normally. My tank clouds up almost every other day. Just when I think it's starting to settle and clear it clouds up again. What gives? Any ideas or suggestions?
20180510_121637.jpg

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is this a new tank?

It could be bacteria bloom, which is an irritating, but normal phase of tank evolution. It generally clears up on its own after a week or ten days or so.

It could also be fine dust that the pleco is rucking up when it turns over the gravel. Again, that's something that resolves itself over time.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is this a new tank?

It could be bacteria bloom, which is an irritating, but normal phase of tank evolution. It generally clears up on its own after a week or ten days or so.

It could also be fine dust that the pleco is rucking up when it turns over the gravel. Again, that's something that resolves itself over time.
It's been an established tank for about 4 or 5 months, it could be bacteria though, or maybe Roomba turning over a lot more gravel. I didn't think about that.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may want to be a bit more aggressive with your substrate vacuuming . Trapped gunge can build up over time. Then the pleco turns the gravel over and releases said gunge into the water column.

April Shannon

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure what's happening with my bettas tank. He's in a 25 gallon with a cleaning crew of snails and a clown pleco. Water conditioning consistently measure fine for Ph and nitrite levels, the heater and filter are both working normally. My tank clouds up almost every other day. Just when I think it's starting to settle and clear it clouds up again. What gives? Any ideas or suggestions? View attachment 437057
Betta can usually live in anything if cloud do a water change I use water conditioner also

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lots of gravel vaccuming and lots of water changes... Not sure what's causing it (maybe the pleco?) but getting more aggressive with tank maintenance should help... Also maybe add carbon to your filter media if you don't have any?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your filter isn't rated for that tank. Topfin 20 is rated for a "10-20g" tank, you have a 25 gallon tank. A bigger filter that can do a 40g or more is best suited for your tank. What's happening is that your filter can't reduce all the waste that it's getting, thus the cloudy water look.

My brother in law had a aquaclear 70 for his 90g (Before it was mine) and I told him that the filter isn't strong enough for the tank, thus the white cloud.

Hope this helps.

ladyrivermouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your filter isn't rated for that tank. Topfin 20 is rated for a "10-20g" tank, you have a 25 gallon tank. A bigger filter that can do a 40g or more is best suited for your tank. What's happening is that your filter can't reduce all the waste that it's getting, thus the cloudy water look.

My brother in law had a aquaclear 70 for his 90g (Before it was mine) and I told him that the filter isn't strong enough for the tank, thus the white cloud.

Hope this helps.
Extremely helpful! Thank you! I was just using the filter that came with the tank, o better go filter shopping.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom