Cloudy Tank

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by ColinGreen1985, Apr 18, 2017.

1. C

ColinGreen1985 New Member Member

I started cycling a 20 gallon tank just 10 days ago with three tiger barbs in it.
    I realize now this was a bad move. Now i'm concerned with with my new fish.
    So now its day 10 and my water's getting very cloudy looking. Is this normal?
    Is it because of the spike in ammonia or bacteria growth. Should i be concerned ?
    Should i do a water change? Or should i just let it run its coarse.

(I have not done a water change yet and its now day 10 since i added the fish and started feeding the tank.)

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Is the water green? Or is it white/milky?

If its green is an algea bloom

If its milky its a bacterial bloom

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like a bacterial bloom if you're cycling the tank. That's very normal and the cloudiness will go away on its own.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

But you should keep up with water changes to protect your fish from harmful ammonia and nitrites while cycling. Water changes won't help the cloudiness, but it'll protect your fish. The cloudiness will go away eventually.

5. OP
    OP
    C

ColinGreen1985 New Member Member

Ah yes i was also wondering about that .Thanks for the heads up. The guy i bought the fish from told me " not " to do a water change right away if cycling. I'll post another question regarding this, just so that this post stays more specific to its title (cloudy water)
    Well at least it sounds like i shouldn't be to concerned about the cloudy water. Good to know.

6. SkookulBob

SkookulBob Valued Member Member

You may want to consider going as light as possible on the food. Giving more than the fish consume can contribute to cloudiness, AND giving more food than absolutely necessary seems like it would make cycling more stressful on the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice