Cloudy Tank Water

1. Buttbee24 Initiate Member

Hmm this is a new tank I recently bought yesterday, I left the water sitting for 24 hours without the decholrinator and conditioner (aquasafe), I was told by a Walmart staff that I should let the water sit out for 24 hours so it can dechlorinate so that's what I did o3o so is it safe to put my Betta right now? Its kind of milky~

Attached Files:

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

It doesn't sound like it's cycled. Cloudy water is normal in a new tank. Did you thoroughly rinse the substrate?

3. Buttbee24 Initiate Member

I did throughly washed it :)

4. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I've heard that if the cloud is white it's a bacteria bloom if its grey it's dirt.

So if your tank has a white cloud that means it's going through a cycle. Whether it's mini or not depends on what the water parameters are.

5. Buttbee24 Initiate Member

Hehehe what do you mean by water parameter? Idk anything

6. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Letting water sit does not dechlorinate the water. If you don't know about water parameters, then you more than likely don't know about the nitrogen cycle. Water parameters are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. There are also PH, GH, and KH readings. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are the most important as they can be fatal to fish. The nitrogen cycle refer to the process of beneficial bacteria growing. Benificial bacteria converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrates to the safer nitrates. The job of the beneficial bacteria depends on the type (ex: nitrifying bacteria). The process of growing bacteria takes around a month. I would suggest purchasing the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Seachem Prime, and Seachem Stability as well as a water conditioner. If you got the AquaCulture Kit, it should come with a sample packet of dechlorinator. At this point, adding a Betta from a different uncycled tank can't hurt.

7. jl_1005 Member Member

Read up on Nitrogen Cycle. It'll prevent you from inadvertently killing your fish.

If you haven't got any fish in it yet, then your cycle has not started.

I would recommend getting water conditioner instead of letting the water sit out. It's much much easier (makes your hobby more enjoyable) and sometimes letting water sit out is insufficient to de-chlorinate the water.

8. Buttbee24 Initiate Member

Thank you!!

9. EmmyFish Member Member

If it's a new tank and not cycled it could have Tank Cycling Syndrome which is nothing to worry about. You can buy stuff to put in your tank to clear the cloudiness though I had no luck with that. It took about 4 days for mine to go away. It didn't hurt anything in the tank, it just looked bad til it cleared. Cloudy, new tanks, are very normal and will go away once cycled. Or the chemicals to clear the cloudiness might work for you.
    Edit: Use a tank safe start brand of your choosing and clean the out the stuff in the water you're using as well and as said up above.

10. Buttbee24 Initiate Member

Okay thank you very much!