Cloudy Tank/Substrate Worth Keeping?

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been cleaning out this tank for 48 hours. Got Fluorite Black Sand Gravel or whatever that's called.

I washed the substrate 10-15 times per bag until it ran clear. I put it in the tank and boom, cloudy water. Running two solid filters. Did a small water change to clear it.

It's better, but is it worth keeping? I've emptied half the tank and was planning to empty the rest, put in fresh water and see if that helps enough. But I'm wondering if I should just take out the substrate at this point. I have clean small gravel to put in instead, I'm just dreading taking out all that wet mess.

It does NOT stop giving off dust and I'm concerned filling it with new water won't be enough to make it safe for small fish.
IMG_1984.jpeg

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
And I've tried Clarify. There's no bacteria booster or fish, so a bacterial bloom isn't a concern. Its the non stop dust that comes up.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would keep stirring it around and run a lot of polyfill in your filters along with some prefilter sponges so your filters don't suck any sand up and it should clear up soon.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
I would keep stirring it around and run a lot of polyfill in your filters along with some prefilter sponges so your filters don't suck any sand up and it should clear up soon.
I'll add the polyflll and prefilter sponge, this stuff is crazy fine though.

ChrisCoates

Reaction score
I’d take it out and wash in a bucket and keep topping up water until clear, it’s a nice substrate, keep

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChrisCoates said:
I’d take it out and wash in a bucket and keep topping up water until clear, it’s a nice substrate, keep
Its got a great feel, and I think the plants will like it, and I actually don't mind the black look though I'm a bit of a natural stone gal usually. But that dust! Bleh.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChrisCoates said:
Once you sort the dust it will be fine! Worth the pain ahha
Took me 3 hours to empty and refill it but!! Viola!

Thank you for supporting the keeping of the fluorite, it does look snazzy!
IMG_9448.jpeg

ChrisCoates

Reaction score
Addictedtobettas said:
Took me 3 hours to empty and refill it but!! Viola!

Thank you for supporting the keeping of the fluorite, it does look snazzy!
IMG_9448.jpeg
Looks good! I assume you know this already but take the plants out of the foam and plastic eventually! My first plant I left in for months

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChrisCoates said:
Looks good! I assume you know this already but take the plants out of the foam and plastic eventually! My first plant I left in for months
Haha, yes! I will get the plants all out of their pots and foam after dinner actually. I left them in years ago and always ended up with a mess before I realized that wasn't the long term goal of plants in the tank. Eek.

But I went to the fish store yesterday and got a bunch that needed to at least get in the water asap. Even cloudy water.

ChrisCoates

Reaction score
Addictedtobettas said:
Haha, yes! I will get the plants all out of their pots and foam after dinner actually. I left them in years ago and always ended up with a mess before I realized that wasn't the long term goal of plants in the tank. Eek.

But I went to the fish store yesterday and got a bunch that needed to at least get in the water asap. Even cloudy water.
Ahaha what you planning on stocking?

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChrisCoates said:
Ahaha what you planning on stocking?
The plan as of this moment (which changes based on the fishes opinions quite often it seems) is to put the dumbo betta, 2 electric blue rams, and several endlers in. That's for now. Like the 24 hour plan.

I originally thought I'd get all my fish in between 2-45 gallon tanks (or 1 45 and a 60) but after recent fish additions I wasn't expecting and the fun of this 45... I think it will be altered. :p

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ChrisCoates said:
You ever considered saltwater?
Definitely, I love the coral reef aquariums possible. Maybe if/when I get the 45g settled but it's a bit of a change of gears and juggling the 4 tanks I have now is proving enough.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom