Cloudy Tank... HELP

BrandyH312

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BrandyH312 said:
@mattgirl @lilirose
I have now tested my water and ammonia is at a 1 which is crazy high, and it has never been that high. I’m doing a water change immediately. Anything else I need to do from here? Add any prime or anything like that?
I did a 50% water change last night. Treated it all. Woke up this morning and it was a little cloudy but seemed fine. Came home after work and tested my water again, and my ammonia is back up to a 1. So I’m doing another water change now, but why is this happening? Is it the cycle or what? I’m getting defeated here.

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is happening because your tank is not cycled. Once it's cycled, the ammonia will no longer be a problem.

I usually recommend taking 6-8 weeks to do a cycle in a new tank before you add any fish (this is called "fishless cycling" and involves a lot of water tests but very few changes, as you don't have to worry about keeping the fish alive). However, you have already added fish, so it seemed pointless to mention this before now. If you want to keep the fish healthy and the ammonia levels low, you will have to do frequent water changes (possibly daily) until the cycle has completed. This should happen in 6-8 weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom