Cloudy Tank Before Cycling?

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Z123Killer, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

So I have set up and added water to my 29 gallon about two days ago and currently waiting for my TSS+ and ammonia to arrive but the tank now has a slight cloudiness to it because I might have added a little too much Stress Coat (maybe an extra tablespoon) but I am not sure if that is the reason. Is that ok? And can I add my TSS+ and ammonia when they arrive? (It will take about 10 days for both to arrive)

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Weird, cloudy water usually comes from bacterial blooms, but I dont know exactly where the bacteria are taking food from if you havent added TSS or any source of ammonia.
    You washed your substrate well right? :D

3. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

Sometimes if the substrate isn't rinsed off properly the tank can be cloudy but it should clear up within a day or so.

However I'm not sure if that's the cause, hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

Ethan

4. OP
    OP
    Z

I washed my substrate for about 30 mins. And wouldn't the tank instantly could up when you add the water and not two days later :D

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

If you added too much dechlorinator, it can cause bacterial blooms.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

I am not really %100 percent sure that I added too much and when looking at pictures of bacterial blooms the cloudiness in other tanks are way cloudier than mine. But what could I do?

7. Lorekeeper

Just maybe try a large WC and see if it clears up, or give it time.

8. BeanFish

Water changes do not stop bacterial blooms. Bacteria could not live in the tap water because of the chlorine, when you got rid of chlorine bacteria colonized that mass of water. The mess will clean up by itself.
    I once got a bacterial bloom because I messed up with my cycled media and probably killed some BB. I solved it in a day by adding some cycled media from another tank.

9. Lorekeeper

Water changes do not stop bacterial blooms. But it does lessen the amount of bacteria in the water, maybe clearing up some cloudiness.

10. BeanFish

They will clear up the water but the bacteria reproduce so fast that in 20 minutes it will be the same. At least that was my experience.

11. OP
    OP
    Z

So what can I do if I don't have any cycled media from another tank?

12. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

Sometimes if you ask in a fish store they might give or sell you some.

Ethan

13. OP
    OP
    Z

But I don't really trust Petsmart for cycled media. It might mess up my tank even more. Could I do like a full water change, would that help?

14. BeanFish

Just wait. It will go away on its own. Bacterial blooms are more common than you think. Just do your thing when you get your ammonia and TSS, the bacteria bloom should go away in 4 days at worst.

Just let nature follow its course. Don't touch the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  15. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Are you running your filter at all? Maybe add filter floss to the media and see if it gets rid of it.

16. OP
    OP
    Z

So I set up my tank about 2 days ago and I think that I added too much dechlorinator. I have noticed that the tank is a little cloudy but I am not sure if it is a bacterial bloom. Do you think it is a bacterial bloom from the pictures? And what can I do to fix it?

Attached Files:

17. M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

Did you add bottled bacteria?

18. OP
    OP
    Z

Yes I am running a filter which has pinky filter media in it, but I am not sure if it is as effective as filter floss.

Ok thanks. My TSS+ and ammonia will arrive in 10 days so I'll have time to see if it clears up.

19. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic

20. OP
    OP
    Z

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice