Cloudy Green Algea Water

1. MelloYello Member Member

Im really not in a good place to be spending more money on aquarium equipment... My UV sterilizer just broke and now the aquarium (In a room with so much natural light.. the only place I can fit a tank this big right now). The tank is so incredibly cloudy with algae (see picture). Now everyone in the house is mad (the tanks in a public space) because it looks bad... but no one is willing to pay for the replacement bulb/ a new sterilizer...
    I need help.

EDIT: Oh yeah and this is with 50% water changes every other day.
    I don't think I can do a light starve because of all the sensitive expensive plants I have... Plus thats only a temporary solution.

Im trying to nitrates in the tank at a minimum. While dosing instructed amounts of bioavaliable Carbon. And CO2 pelets.
  2. Cheesearmada Member Member

I would do a water change and then cover the aquarium partially with a darker colored towel to minimize light exposure for now until you can spend more.

3. MelloYello Member Member

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Plants plants plants and more plants is your solution.

5. MelloYello Member Member

Ive already got a ton(if you can see in the photo... its actually the max ammount of plants I can afford at the time), and Im working on growing them out. But thanks for the tip!

Man I wish money was not a thing (Ive got a job but I put 50% to college and the other 50% is not enough for all the fish stuff I want XD)
  6. MelloYello Member Member

Just did a 50% water change (basicly looks like the same color water)
    and painted both sides of the tank.

And tested the water....

Is there any chance that higher quantities of nitrates would produce cloudy water like this?
    the color for the nitrate strip does not seem to even be an option for the chart... But it might just be a more dull verson of the lightest pink... 20ppm.
    Amonia: 0ppm
    Nitirite: 0ppm
    Ph: 7.8
    KH: 60 ppm
    0-cus-d1-d89541f3bdb3e652d5e97dfbe78846c3.jpg 0-cus-d2-a1f406a1e511bea8acc1f1f88f57dcfb.jpg