Cloudy For Days, Still Not Clearing Up.. Help

1. aquadude91 Member Member

I've run into a problem with cloudy tank water. This cloudiness I've never had before wth my setup. My tank is a well established advanced setup with CO2, live plants, and cardinal Tetra's. The cloudiness isn't a haze it is more of a smokiness, that you can see moving through the water column with the movement of the water, as if it were a cloud. I've done countless water changes, still does nothing. The tank is clean & substrate gets vacuumed often. I haven't had any type of algae issues, since I started the tank months ago.

Parameters:
    7.2 pH
    0 Ammonia
    0 nitrite
    Nitrate: 10-20ppm
    kH: 2 degrees
    GH: 10 Degrees
    Temp: 78F

I use a surface slimmer, HOB filter, cans submerged filter with chemipure elite.

This started a week ago, and will not let up... don't know what to do.

PS - 3 weeks ago I changed my HOB cartridge after 6 months of use, not seeding it, so I had to do a mini cycle to reestablish, however, the BB Bacteria are doing just fine, showing nitrate increases with 0/0 ammonia/Nitrite... don't know what's going on here

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of cartridge did you use? Did you rinse it before putting it in? All I can think is maybe something is coming out of that...

3. aquadude91 Member Member

You don't think this is some kind of bloom?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I suppose it could be, but has anything changed with the lighting or nutrient availability in the system?

5. aquadude91 Member Member

Nope, only thing was 4 weeks ago I had a pH swing from 7.8 to 6, but a fault of my own of using distilled water during a mini cycle, but it's stable again of 7.8, kH 3. Not sure what's going on, still won't clear up even after huge water changes...!! Don't want to use chemicals or anything

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yikes! How did the fish react?

7. aquadude91 Member Member

The fish were just fine, and currently my water chemistry is perfecto... no toxin ammonia or nitrite, nitrates are low, pH is stable, it's now going on day 9, water is still immensely cloudy. It'll clear up by half at a 50% water change and within 30 mins it's back to its normally extremely white cloudy water.

Since it won't hurt my fish, I added some salt to the aquarium, doubt it'll do anything but it can't hurt either. Any ideas ???

8. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Cloudiness could be a host of things. White is bacteria, green is algae, grey is overfeeding. Yours looks like bacteria. I would put some filter floss in your filter and wait it out. It is unsightly, but harmless.

9. aquadude91 Member Member

Update: I found a possible solution. What I did was 3x dose Flourish Excel (which is a natural antimocrobial in higher doses); allowed it to run through the water with the filtration offline for 20 minutes. Fish were stressed but had to deal with it. Did a 75% water change, turned the filtration back on, and so far, the water is clearing up. Will continue to monitor it.

10. Jerri D Initiate Member

Is it appropriate to add a sterilizer to the tank? Not on a continuous run cycle, but possibly running it a few days and then turning it off. I installed one on my 55 gallon when I had cloudiness and it helped immensely.