Cloudy eyes?

oliviawilliam2017

my betta has recently (within the last month) developed a cloudy eye and it hasn’t changed much. the other one is beginning to go to, and i’m not sure what it is. she’s very active still, she get excited when i come up to her tank and overall she’s very vibrant and healthy. if anyone thinks this is an infection let me know. i’m wondering also if this could be tank rubs? it’s a vertical line almost so i’m wondering if she didn’t damage her eye by swimming against the glass or something. or, maybe it’s cataracts. i’m not sure. anyway here’s the photos.
C5CE5335-57B2-470E-8BCC-9F306BFEC555.png
this one is from a few weeks ago
24FE18EB-BFEC-4A00-9713-14C078F52539.pngA57ADF3A-9C74-4A27-B9F9-07A17D04C37D.pngBA1AB654-6979-4A8E-9DE6-61C151BC5001.png
and these last 3 are from today

she’s in a blackwater tank and has been for a while, it’s 11 gallons, heated to about 79, has a hob filter. ph is 6.4. ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0 (i don’t have nitrate in this aquarium because it’s acidic). i do 10% water changes weekly.

GingerV513

How old is she? I doubt it’s injury if it’s happening to both eyes

oliviawilliam2017

GingerV513 said:
How old is she? I doubt it’s injury if it’s happening to both eyes
i’ve had her for a little over a year and bought her from petco (unfortunate i know). so i’m going to assume she’s about a year and a half.

Pandurs

My goodness she's a cutie. My girl had the same issue and I thought it was cataracts or popeye. After digging through the depths of google I found a blog post/article that said that low pH could cause cloudy eyes. I'm by no means an expert, so I implore you to do more thorough research, but when I raised the pH in her tank, the cloudiness went away. I personally used baking soda, but there might be a better alternative that won't ruin any plants that you may have. Like I said, I'm not an expert, this is just what has worked for me.

Good luck to you and your baby girl ❤

oliviawilliam2017

Pandurs said:
My goodness she's a cutie. My girl had the same issue and I thought it was cataracts or popeye. After digging through the depths of google I found a blog post/article that said that low pH could cause cloudy eyes. I'm by no means an expert, so I implore you to do more thorough research, but when I raised the pH in her tank, the cloudiness went away. I personally used baking soda, but there might be a better alternative that won't ruin any plants that you may have. Like I said, I'm not an expert, this is just what has worked for me.

Good luck to you and your baby girl ❤
thank you!!! i’ve seen that before, but she’s been in blackwater for almost her whole life and has never had this issue. but i’m going to stay focused on watching her water parameters daily to see if maybe something is fluctuating. i’m also going to do small water changes daily and add stress coat. maybe this is simply just a water quality issue, who knows. but i’m trying not to panic yet! thanks for your advice.

RichTino

Most likely she scrapped her cornea against either the plants or the glass. If it happened to both eyes its most likely something in the tank .. My betta had the same thing happened less than 24 hrs of putting him back into his tank after I had mated him .. His eye got cloudy and then it got swollen ( popeye I guess ) .. I did panic for two days and was tempted to dip him in Epsom salt but then I left him alone. In a week his swollen eye was down and it was cloudy for another week until it disappeared ..
He is back to normal now.
I really think that she scraped her eyes to something, but don't be alarmed. I could be wrong and then again if I am right I think its best you just leave it for a while and see if it will go away by itself ... I would say at least 2 weeks the most ..

oliviawilliam2017

RichTino said:
Most likely she scrapped her cornea against either the plants or the glass. If it happened to both eyes its most likely something in the tank .. My betta had the same thing happened less than 24 hrs of putting him back into his tank after I had mated him .. His eye got cloudy and then it got swollen ( popeye I guess ) .. I did panic for two days and was tempted to dip him in Epsom salt but then I left him alone. In a week his swollen eye was down and it was cloudy for another week until it disappeared ..
He is back to normal now.
I really think that she scraped her eyes to something, but don't be alarmed. I could be wrong and then again if I am right I think its best you just leave it for a while and see if it will go away by itself ... I would say at least 2 weeks the most ..
that was a thought that crossed my mind so thanks for saying that because i could not find any information on this!

RichTino

oliviawilliam2017 said:
that was a thought that crossed my mind so thanks for saying that because i could not find any information on this!
No problem .. I dealt with that twice and killed my double tail grizzle male betta cause I had used epsom salt to treat it when it turned into popeye ..
I cried cause I so loved him .. He was never agressive towards any other fish even the female I had ..
I lived and learned ..
I lost a lot of bettas to dropsy !!

oliviawilliam2017

RichTino said:
No problem .. I dealt with that twice and killed my double tail grizzle male betta cause I had used epsom salt to treat it when it turned into popeye ..
I cried cause I so loved him .. He was never agressive towards any other fish even the female I had ..
I lived and learned ..
I lost a lot of bettas to dropsy !!
fish can be so difficult to keep. i love this hobby so much but it’s so overwhelming and stressful at times because of how easily things can go downhill. i’m sorry for your loss :(

RichTino

oliviawilliam2017 said:
fish can be so difficult to keep. i love this hobby so much but it’s so overwhelming and stressful at times because of how easily things can go downhill. i’m sorry for your loss :(
I know .. I mostly love bettas and Koi fishes .. Koi fishes are easy to maintain at young and harder to maintain as they get older .. As for bettas they are harder to maintain as fry and become more easy to maintain as they grow into adulthood.

I don't see it as a hobby for me its a passion right now for me ... Lol Sorry but I love fish keeping .. I love other animals too but fish are just wonderful to look at, keep as pets with simple needs and they are sometimes intelligent ..

oliviawilliam2017

RichTino said:
I know .. I mostly love bettas and Koi fishes .. Koi fishes are easy to maintain at young and harder to maintain as they get older .. As for bettas they are harder to maintain as fry and become more easy to maintain as they grow into adulthood.

I don't see it as a hobby for me its a passion right now for me ... Lol Sorry but I love fish keeping .. I love other animals too but fish are just wonderful to look at, keep as pets with simple needs and they are sometimes intelligent ..
you’re right. my bettas recognize me when it’s wonderful. they’re amazing animals but are so often neglected and mistreated and it’s sad. i try to give my animals the best shot at life they can get. i’m glad you enjoy it so much.

NBettas83

I've been following this thread and I'm sorry I can't help much, but I wanted to say your Betta is so pretty and cute!

RichTino

oliviawilliam2017 said:
you’re right. my bettas recognize me when it’s wonderful. they’re amazing animals but are so often neglected and mistreated and it’s sad. i try to give my animals the best shot at life they can get. i’m glad you enjoy it so much.
Yes. I do enjoy having bettas and not because of their beauty but because of their intelligence .. People often forget that bettas really are smart fishes. Also I do hate when people treat them like their some gold fish in a bowl .. Bettas are now endangered species and they are the national fish of Thailand ..

oliviawilliam2017

RichTino said:
Yes. I do enjoy having bettas and not because of their beauty but because of their intelligence .. People often forget that bettas really are smart fishes. Also I do hate when people treat them like their some gold fish in a bowl .. Bettas are now endangered species and they are the national fish of Thailand ..
oh really i didn’t know they were endangered. does that have to do with the fact that wild bettas are taken and sold?

oliviawilliam2017

NBettas83 said:
I've been following this thread and I'm sorry I can't help much, but I wanted to say your Betta is so pretty and cute!
ohh thank you so much!!! she is very beautiful. i’ll show you her transformation. E907B768-EB1B-4838-9B20-5C374D70E1EC.jpeg
this one is about 1 year ago
5EA623A6-E272-40C7-92FC-44E90DE5620B.jpeg
and this is a few days ago. she’s very large and colorful. :)

RichTino

oliviawilliam2017 said:
oh really i didn’t know they were endangered. does that have to do with the fact that wild bettas are taken and sold?
Sorry for the late reply .. Yes it has to do with that and because they are sold like they are gold fishes .. Sellers in the Eastern world usually don' take well care of the bettas they sell and having them in a small capsule or jarring them to sell .. They go through a lot of stress and other health conditions too .. Nonetheless they are the most toughest fishes I have seen .. They really are ... Also the fact that their life span is cut down in the wild due to predators, and them fighting for territory in the wild .. Many factors play a big role in their life span in the wild .. Thus why they are now on the endangered list.

Top Bottom