Cloudy Eyes Overnight

Krissy2

Reaction score
I’m freaking out! I make it a point to admire my fish everyday, and today I noticed that one of my beautiful Bettas has cloudy eyes. I’m so confused! He was perfectly fine yesterday. He’s eating and swimming around like he always does, but this can’t be good.

I also noticed today that brown algae is everywhere! This also happened overnight. I’ve never seen anything like this. I cleaned the tank and changed 50% of the water. Once again, the water parameters look good to me. Note: I was not home last night to put my fish to “bed”, so I asked my boyfriend to do it. I noticed that some of my plants in another tank appeared to be burnt; they weren't like that yesterday either. Sigh. I’m willing to bet that he forgot and the lights were on for 15 hours +.

Could this have something to do with my poor little fish and the algae? I have Furan-2, kanaplex, and aquarium salt on standby, but I don’t want to use them unless I absolutely have to. What on earth do I do here? I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Parameters look perfect to me as well. Could you try doing a lights out for a day or 2 to see if the algae subsides and his eyes clear up. Do you have a pic of your betta?

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
Darn. I didn’t take a picture of him and now his light is out. I hate to turn it back on just to take a picture. The joke’s on me... I took tons of him yesterday (just because he is pretty). I’ll take one tomorrow.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
His eyes are concerning to me. That wouldn't be caused by the light being on. I'd probably hit it with a good antibacterial treatment and up your water changes for a bit.

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
I’m not sure what to use... any suggestions? I’d like to keep him in his tank (5 gallon fluval) if at all possible. I have a 2 gallon quarantine tank, but I don’t want to stress him out by moving him.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any other fish in the tank or other creatures (snails, shrimp, etc)

OP
Krissy2

Krissy2

Reaction score
No other creatures in the tank, just a bunch of plants.

I think I just found out what is going on! I’ve had him for about two weeks or so and he surfed the glass for a few days and then stopped. I’m watching him now and he is doing it again. Call me crazy, but it looks like his eyes are on the glass as he is going back and forth! I turned his light out and he’s calm now. Hmnnn...

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was shocked at the third picture his left eyes weirdly bulges out not the popeye look but something weird. My betta also like that his eyes becomes cloudy overnight after his popeye was pecked by my other betta who jumped out to the other side of the divider. Maybe it was just an injury is there any sharp object he could bump his eyes into?

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Krissy2 said:
It is very strange! It appears to be pointed... I’m still scratching my head over this one. There is absolutely nothing sharp in his tank. This is what his home looks like.
Yeah your right even if I zoom in I can't see any sharp edges, maybe just do a frequent water change will help it since my tank also reaches a Nitrate up to 20ppm before WC but my bettas eyes doesn't bulges like that. Maybe observe it from the meantime since I'm also not sure what causes it and maybe people here are might help you soon.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom