Cloudy Eyes on my Betta??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Allison Williams, Jul 22, 2015.

1. A

Allison Williams New Member Member

Does anyone have experience with cloudy eyes in betta fish or any kind of fish??

My betta has cloudy eyes. at first i thought she was going blind but she still catches her food, swims around, swims to the glass when i sit next to the tank, is responsive to light and plays with the other fish.

I then thought it could be an infection so i did a water change and will continue to do so daily and i am also treating with Metafix which is an all natural treatment for bacterial infections including cloudy eye. Im hoping it will help.

If any of you have had a similar experience let me know how you noticed it, what you did to fix it, and if the problem was resolved?!

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Poor water quality is a very common cause of cloudy eyes in a betta. Have you tested your water with a liquid test kit?

3. OP
    OP
    A

No. not with a liquid test kit. I use test strips and those say everything is fine. i do water changes frequently!

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Test strips are inaccurate and the liquid test kits are cheaper in the long run. How often do you do water changes and for how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    A

For about a month now Its usually about 15%-20% water changes once a week along with gravel vacuuming the entire tank. In total i usually replace about 7 gallons of the water with fresh conditioned water.

6. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

What was it before the month?
    Melafix is the equivalent of putting on neosporin and not very effective against major infections. Erythromycin is your best place to start with, but it will wreak havoc with your cycle. It should recover fast though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice