Cloudy Eye

1. Maida_gc Member Member

Anyone have expeirence with Cloudy Eye? Seems like it's a batercia infection with the fish, my tank numbers are excellent, just one fish. Does it go away, are the antibacterial medicines I should be investing in? Thanks.

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe this will help with disease identification: http://www.klsnet.com/files/fishchart.htm (especially the sections on "cloudy eye", "cataracts" and "ich"). I think this is a pretty comprehensive diseases description page. It could well be that your fish has a Cloudy Eye disease - but read this page and make sure you have identified the symptoms before starting any treatment.

What you can always do, however, if unsure what this disease is - is to use aquarium salt treatment. Here is some information on aquarium salt treatment (make sure you read everything): https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1296.0 (it talks about how much salt to use and how much salt to add with every water change; it also talks about alternative salt baths).

3. Maida_gc Member Member

Perhaps I should mention the clouded over eyes are on my juvi Cory Cat. Any other suggestion since Salt is not really an option. OTC - I guess that means over the counter medicine. Any suggestions on what to look for?

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Since I have no experience with sick fish and with using any commercial medications, I wouldn't want to give you some misleading advice about medicating your fish. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you (Gunnie, Carol ? LOL). So, you are sure that it's a Cloudy Eye disease, right? Even for someone to help you here, you need to be sure you identified disease correctly in order to treat it successfully. (And identification is often difficult from what I read here and there, so hopefully you identified it correctly.)

Why do you think salt treatment is out of question? Often times it is much safer and much more effective than most commercial medications. But once again, I have not seen your fish, therefore I cannot say which treatment would be better. Let us wait for someone to give us a hand here :) I hope your fish gets well.

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

P.S. Yes, OTC means Over The Counter medication.

6. Maida_gc Member Member

Incase someone else reads this forum looking for advise, after maintaining really good water quality, and frequent PWC's the problem went away with no medication. Fish seemed happy throughout the problem, not sure why it arrose, however it did go away after about 2 weeks.