Cloudy Eye In New Betta

1. Sireland31

Sireland31 New Member Member

Hi all
    Hope you can help.

I’ve just got a new Betta (2 days ago) that I ordered online.
    When I got him I noticed he had a cloudy eye. He is very active swimming all over the place, eating well and his fins aren’t clamped but he has this eye problem.

I was just wondering if hes just injured it when he was in the mail or is it Popeye?
    The other eye seems fine and isn’t bulging.

I’ve put some photos of him for you to kind of see ( not great photos because he won’t stay still)

I asked the seller about it and he said the Betta was completely healthy when it left, which I tend to believe as he is a highly reviewed reputable Betta breeder.

I’ve been doing 25/30% water changes every day to make sure the water is super clean for him.

I also have meta fix at hand but haven’t used it yet, I need some opinions first as I’ve heard mixed things about it. I also have Nerite snail so can’t use salt in the aquarium.

And also on a side note (sorry I’m a new keeper and probably overthinking and worrying about every little thing)
    could you tell me on his fins if it’s just his iridescence or possible velvet?? He’s not scratching against things and again seems very active. And can be seen even without a torch shone on him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou
    Sam

0DAE7FDC-2ADF-4A9C-871C-B9D406ED03B1.jpeg
    50AE3D6D-5F85-40EA-A098-A97521D0FACA.jpeg
    60B3BD1D-34E0-4ACD-B7F2-EF3196E1E15A.jpeg
    6C4C9475-04B9-44F4-9132-87FACB7E7B48.jpeg

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Hello Sam, so your Betta doesn’t have velvet. Yay! But he may have Popeye. One good way to tell is if his injured eye is swollen or looks like it’s been popped out a little, I’m saying this because you can get a better look at him then I can. If you don’t see swelling or you think it may not be popeye it can be an eyecloud witch is simple to treat and not deadly but can impact his vision. He could also have damaged him eye during shipping but I think that’s unlikely since they’re usually packed safely. If it’s popeye I’m assuming you know how to treat it if not here’s how: you NEED to put either him or the snail in a separate tank (I recommend moving the snail) after that take out ALL plants and decor as he probably can’t see so great. Then treat him with amoxicillin here is a link to some Thomas Labs Fish Mox Amoxicillin Antibacterial Fish Medication, 250 mg and use as directed. If it’s eyecloud here how’s to treat it: get this API Fungus Cure Anti-Fungal Freshwater Fish Medication, 10 count and use as directed
    For either treatment you need to clean the tank every other day by taking out %25 of the water and replacing it

3. OP
    OP
    Sireland31

Thankyou for your help I’ll give it a try. How long after treatment should I wait to put the snail back?

4. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Sorry it took a while for me to respond. I would say 3 days after treatment and he is healed, I would also put a little BB (beneficial bacteria) in the tank a couple hours after the last treatment. If you have stress zyme you could use that is has some BB in it. That’s what I use, it’s multipurpose LOL

5. OP
    OP
    Sireland31

Lol ok thankyou!!