Cloudy Eye. How to deal with it?

aquariumnewbie
I'm having a young 7" Silver Arowana. & Today, I found that it's eyes appears to have some white stuffs on the surface. I quickly changed 50% of the tank's water and added the correct dosage of Melafix.

I'm quite puzzled about how my Silver Arowana got the cloudy eyes. After I added Melafix, the eye seems to become clear again. But now it's back to be in a cloudy state again.

Guys, any advices will be deeply appreciated. I don't want to lose this Silver Arowana. It has a deep meaning to me. Thank you all.

aquariumnewbie
It seems to be getting worst. There is body slime on my silver arowana and the cloudy eye is still the same. It's still swimming around but much slower than it use to be.

Sigh... I don't know what else I can do.

Fishies-for-me
could it be bad water?? ammonia or nitrites?? That would explain why it cleared up after a water change...check your parameters ....good luck.

aquariumnewbie
Well the tank sort of entered a re-cycle phase. So i'm not having any nitrites and nitrate. But I make sure the ammonia level never raise too high. I do 50% water change daily. But the eye is still covered with a layer of white tissue. There is also present of body slime or I should say powder looking substance covering the whole body like dust.

Fishies-for-me
Is it gold?? could it be velvet?? Not experienced with those fish or with what you are describing , but good luck.

aquariumnewbie
Well I appreciate your replied. Seriously I do. I've checked about velvet but it don't seem to relate to my fish very much. My fish is cover in white dust looking substance and also with some slime. The eyes are also covered with white membrane too. It's okay even if you can't help much but at least u made effort to reply. Thank you very much. I'm praying the best for my fish and trying as much to help it too.

Anyone who can help, please do help me. :'(

Lucy
I'm sorry your fish are sick, I'm not much help either.

Can you post a pic? That might help other's identify it.

Good luck.

aquariumnewbie
I want to take pictures too because by describing in words won't be as good as a picture. but my fish seem to know that I'm trying to capture a picture and it starts to freak out. So to avoid stressing it I gave up on taking pictures of it. I'll just have to pray that it will recovery well.

Perhaps lets put it in a general form and not just silver arowana. Normal fresh water fish, how do you guys deal with cloudy eyes and body coated with white dust looking substance?

Lucy
Does this possibly describe it?

"Other protozoal parasites that are found externally are Ichthyobodo/Costia, Trichodina and Chilodonella. Often monogenetic flukes (such as Gyrodactylus) are involved. The most obvious symptom of this is a gray-white film of excess mucus that develops over the body and is especially noticeable over the eyes or areas that contain dark pigment on the skin. Along the flanks, reddened areas may occur, and sometimes the gills become swollen. Fish may show rapid movements, flashing, and they may have respiratory problems. But as the infestation progresses, the fish become listless and lie on the bottom of the tank, occasionally scratching against rocks or tank ornaments. Usually, excessive mucus is caused by more than one organism."

Edit: It could also be ich, does the white powder look it like salt?

aquariumnewbie
Does this possibly describe it?

"Other protozoal parasites that are found externally are Ichthyobodo/Costia, Trichodina and Chilodonella. Often monogenetic flukes (such as Gyrodactylus) are involved. The most obvious symptom of this is a gray-white film of excess mucus that develops over the body and is especially noticeable over the eyes or areas that contain dark pigment on the skin. Along the flanks, reddened areas may occur, and sometimes the gills become swollen. Fish may show rapid movements, flashing, and they may have respiratory problems. But as the infestation progresses, the fish become listless and lie on the bottom of the tank, occasionally scratching against rocks or tank ornaments. Usually, excessive mucus is caused by more than one organism."

Edit: It could also be ich, does the white powder look it like salt?

The obvious symptom is white film of excess mucus over the body and eyes. The fish appears to be swimming rapid at times and seems like trying to shake those mucus off. It's breathing properly no rapid gill movement. My heart aches when I see the fish trying to eat but seem like it doesn't have appetite. It opens it mouth to the mealworm and suddenly close back it's mouth and swim away.

Fishies-for-me
There is an arowana forum in here I wonder if you posted there if someone who knows these fish could help you? Have you treated for external parasites at all? I would check over there and see what the peeps in there say...good luck.

aquariumnewbie
Okay it's the third day already. My fish showed signs of recovering. Thank god. It also slightly regain it's appetite and started to eat a worm or 2. But the main concern now is should I continue to medication the tank? And the tank is super cloudy. I'm still wondering if it's a bacterial bloom.

Lucy
I'm glad your fish is showing signs of improvement.
I would follow the directions on the bottle of whatever meds you are using. There's usually a recommendation is continued treatment is necessary.

Did you remove the carbor prior to medication?

aquariumnewbie
Yup, active carbon are removed. I'm just wondering how long will a cloudy tank last? I'm quite worried over whether is it bacterial bloom or some other problems?

Fishies-for-me
So how did you make out with your fish..did he make it??

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views
Polkadotsss
Top Bottom