Cloudy Cloudy Green Cloudy Water

Buckarett

Reaction score
Hello all,

Where to start! I got a fluval 5 gallon tank. It has been years since I have had fish. I have a tetra, betta, plecto and cat algae eater. My issue is a cloudy tank. I have been battling algae. Tank may have initially had too much sun. Changed gravel, partial then full. Soaked plants in clorox, cloroxed tank and again green water. I again did a complete tear down as it was choking out the fish. The poor fish, I know it is stressful but I have not been able to control the algae. TWO days later cloudy water and the next day green water. I didn't know until it dawned on me that the pump may need cleaning. I tore it down and it was full of green gunk. Could that cause the water to turn green in two to three days? Okay, cleaned water pump with clorox, GROSS. Soaked in conditioner for a day, ran conditioned water through it for a few hours. I put it back in tank. Cloudy green water again in a matter of days. This has all been over the last 8 weeks or so. I have never seen cloudy green water come so quick. I vacuum and do partial changes weekly. Ph has been in normal ranges as has ammonia. I can't believe the fish have survived but they seem fine. Any thoughts. Pulling my hair out.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could leave the light off as a temporary help.

Algae requires the same conditions to grow as plants do. Carbon, Water, and Light. You can't remove the water, and your fish create carbon, so the only easily controllable factor is light.

I don't use chemicals (I run "dirty" tanks), so I can't advise on a solution there.

Plants like Anubias require very little light and can help to make nutrients less available to Algaes. Dimming the light (lowering wattage, swapping to a lower K bulb or adding a light filter) will help as well. Lastly (and most expensive) would be to use UV Sterilization or a fission-type reactor (HHO).

Buckarett

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. The tank has been in darker room for a few weeks. Have you ever seen the cloudiness in such a short time period?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom