Does it have a filter? - Yes
Does it have a heater? - Yes
What is the water temperature? - 78-80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 betta, some ramshorns

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? - Once a week
How much of the water do you change? - 40%
What do you use to treat your water? - Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? - both but its sand so I clean the gunk off the bottom

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? - Yep
What do you use to test the water? - API Liquid Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? - Daily, fast on Saturdays
How much do you feed your fish? - 6 or 7 pellets that are presoaked
What brand of food do you feed your fish? - Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? - frozen when I feed bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? - 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? - About a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? - His eyes are cloudy, that is it
Have you started any treatment for the illness? - No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? - No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? - No change in behavior but the eyes have clouded over. Sometimes he glass surfs but when I took a time lapse of him when I was out of the room he barely did so I'm not sure why he does in all honesty. At first I thought it was because his tank was too small (5.5) so I upgraded him and moved the filter over, so that it was cycled. Didn't change much.

Attachments

• 121064458_668686557386653_8127598791130117833_n.jpg
    121064458_668686557386653_8127598791130117833_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28

BettaFishObsessed

How long did you leave the filter in the 10 g? Did you test the water? it should be in for a few days to ensure its cycled and you should test it. I seeded my tank and it still took about 2 weeks to cycle, I could be a rare case or have done something wrong and be completely incorrect though, just my experience. Do you know how old the betta is? If it is old then it could be cataracts, as he has no behavioral changes. That would also explain the glass surfing since he cant really see where he's going well. If he isnt old cloudy eyes can be caused by poor water quality, but this is doubtful since your water seems pretty okay. My guess is he’s developing cataracts from age.

jasmine-smith

How long did you leave the filter in the 10 g? Did you test the water? it should be in for a few days to ensure its cycled and you should test it. I seeded my tank and it still took about 2 weeks to cycle, I could be a rare case or have done something wrong and be completely incorrect though, just my experience. Do you know how old the betta is? If it is old then it could be cataracts, as he has no behavioral changes. That would also explain the glass surfing since he cant really see where he's going well. If he isnt old cloudy eyes can be caused by poor water quality, but this is doubtful since your water seems pretty okay. My guess is he’s developing cataracts from age.
The 10 gallon has been up and running for at least 3 to 4 weeks now and I've been getting tests back that indicate it is cycled so I know it is cycled. He can't be very old I have had him for two months. My water quality isn't poor. I've been told bettas can get cataracts at any age so I guess it is that . He didn't have them show up till a few days ago though.

BettaFishObsessed

The 10 gallon has been up and running for at least 3 to 4 weeks now and I've been getting tests back that indicate it is cycled so I know it is cycled. He can't be very old I have had him for two months. My water quality isn't poor. I've been told bettas can get cataracts at any age so I guess it is that . He didn't have them show up till a few days ago though.
Okay, sounds like your tank is cycled dont worry, i was just worried because you phrased it as though you put the filter and betta in at the same time, I misinterpreted it haha. It sounds like cataracts since your water quality is fine. He could have been pretty much any age while in the store, if he was an adult when you got him. Although I also have heard they can show up at any age, even though they are more common the older the betta is. Cataracts can show up relatively quickly, and they could have been forming and just became noticeable a few days ago, since I doubt you were taking hours to closely inspect his eyes with a magnifying glass daily, haha. But it sounds like they are cataracts since there are no other symptoms or reasons for it. They also look like cataracts to me in the image.

AquaticQueen

I would try adding some aquarium salt to the tank (1 tbsp per 5 gallons) and see what that does. I would also increase the amount of water changes to 50% every 3-4 days.

BettaFishObsessed

I would try adding some aquarium salt to the tank (1 tbsp per 5 gallons) and see what that does. I would also increase the amount of water changes to 50% every 3-4 days.
Why would you recommend that? (Not trying to question you, just curious since you provided no explaination as to what you think is wrong and what that will do and I like learning) Considering that their water quality is fine, the betta has no behavioral changes other than cloudy eyes which may just be cataracts, wouldn’t medicating it unnecessarily just stress the betta out and do nothing good?

jasmine-smith

Okay, sounds like your tank is cycled dont worry, i was just worried because you phrased it as though you put the filter and betta in at the same time, I misinterpreted it haha. It sounds like cataracts since your water quality is fine. He could have been pretty much any age while in the store, if he was an adult when you got him. Although I also have heard they can show up at any age, even though they are more common the older the betta is. Cataracts can show up relatively quickly, and they could have been forming and just became noticeable a few days ago, since I doubt you were taking hours to closely inspect his eyes with a magnifying glass daily, haha. But it sounds like they are cataracts since there are no other symptoms or reasons for it. They also look like cataracts to me in the image.
Okay, that's what I figured. I got him from a breeder so I was hoping to avoid things like this by paying extra, but I guess breeders aren't always what they're made out to be. Thank you for the help

BettaFishObsessed

Okay, that's what I figured. I got him from a breeder so I was hoping to avoid things like this by paying extra, but I guess breeders aren't always what they're made out to be. Thank you for the help
You’re welcome! And it may not be the breeder’s fault, unless they sold him saying he was a specific age since he’s most likely on the older side if he has cataracts.

jasmine-smith

You’re welcome! And it may not be the breeder’s fault, unless they sold him saying he was a specific age since he’s most likely on the older side if he has cataracts.
He is only 8 months old

BettaFishObsessed

He is only 8 months old
That’s probably old enough to develop cataracts, although if it is cataracts I would think he would be older. It could be something else, if your water quality is fine then it could be a nutrient deficiency from what ive heard, although if he hasnt acted any different and you havent changed his diet (which seems good) it probably is cataracts

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CPTropicalAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas