Cloudiness in tank

Jhawk117

Hey all, my tank seems to have just gotten cloudy over the week and I have no idea why. I just did a 50% WC today to see if that would help but it but doesn’t seem that it did anything. Any reason for this and how I can get rid of it? The fish don’t seem really bothered by it, none have died.

Here’ a pic

Attachments

• 1DBC8864-9325-4313-9CD1-1FBD2FAD9776.jpeg
    1DBC8864-9325-4313-9CD1-1FBD2FAD9776.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 21

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hi there!

Is your tank a new tank (like are you cycling it right now)?

Also what is the Gh and Kh of your tap water

It can either be suspended bacteria within the water column (otherwise known as a Bacteria Bloom)

Or it could be the hardness and the overall high mineral content in your water that causes it to be cloudy

If it is a bacteria bloom you can always use a U.V clarifier to kill it off

Upvote 0

Strider1520

Great looking tank though and beautiful fish. If it is a new set up and is a bacterial bloom, it shouldnt hurt fish and will eventually go away on it's own - mine took about 2 weeks. Seachem Clarity didnt help and water changes would not help either. It would clear up briefly and then get milky again with some very fine particulates in it. Eventually it got better and then water changes helped. You may want to make sure you have plenty of agitation from filter (just to be safe) because if it is bacteria bloom, it is my understanding that the bacteria does use some oxygen so if a tank has a high fish density (which yours doesnt), it may deplete some oxygen. I turned on an airstone that I normally dont have on just to be on the safe side while the bloom was really thick in mine.

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

Hi Strider1520, no it is not a new tank. I’ve had it since end of last summer I believe. I’m hoping that it’s just a bacteria bloom and nothing else

Upvote 0

Jhawk117

It seems to have gotten better today! Not as thick as it was before. Hopefully it'll be gone soon. Don't like turning on their light and seeing so much cloudiness

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles
  • Question
Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views
Bwood22