Cloudiness in tank 3 weeks in

Loulou1

Hi I am also having this problem quite bad, my tank is 29 gallon with 1 common goldfish, I have been running the tank since November but the past 3 weeks it is cloudy even 1 day after a water change and I really don’t know what to do about it. Some people say leave it but it just gets really bad and others say water change but the water change just creates new nutrients which make the water even more cloudy. Please advise what I should do. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• 7FD54F17-D659-4477-B25F-F513F516E577.jpeg
    7FD54F17-D659-4477-B25F-F513F516E577.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8

ruud

Look like algae to me. I assume your tank has fake plants.

Most importantly, dim your lights. For any hrs beyond 6, dim them extremely (up to a point were you are still able to enjoy your tank). Currently, your tank seems to serve as a lamp...

If you are away from home during the day, there is even no need to have the lights on. Perhaps turn it off completely for 4 hrs.

If it is possible to add pothos plants in your filter, I would do so.

I would check your tapwater on the amount of nitrates and phosphates. If it is low, then very frequent water changes, is still the second best answer.

If you want a quicker solution; then perform a blackout.

Finally, I could advise on adding more substrate which should be left untouched to help process waste; but perhaps I shouldn't.

Loulou1

Thank you for your reply, I put his light on around 8am when I feed him and it’s on all day as I want to be able to see him when I come in from work so switch it off around 9pm. I’m doing a 60% water change each week and it just seems to be getting worse, yes the plants are fake, the nitrates and phosphates are low. I will go back to only putting the light on late afternoon and see if that helps. Thanks again.

ruud

You're welcome.
13 hrs of bright lights and no plants is heaven for algae.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
CodeX011010
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha