Closer to done with my diy canister filter

1. Kbrown8211

Kbrown8211 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm putting together a pretty basic canister filter. The housing and internals are PVC, basic polyfil mechanical filtration, chemipure elite and purigen for chemical. I assume that after a bit the polyfil will house enough bacteria to act as bacterial filtration also. Now to figure out how to post pictures from my phone...

2. martini4

martini4 Member Member

Ratings:
    +14
    You'll probably want something more than poly fil for your bio filter because the poly fil will need to be replaced periodically thus removing the bacteria. I use small pieces of lava rock in mine to grow the bacteria on, just make sure you rinse it before adding it or you'll end up with a mess like I did lol

3. OP
    OP
    Kbrown8211

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you use the stuff for bbq applications? I thought about doing it, and my setup is pretty modular so it easily can be added, but I didn't want to wait for another trip to the store to try out my filter.

4. martini4

martini4 Member Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I know how that is. I bought of crushed lave rock at Lowe's in the landscaping department, but the bbq stuff will work too. If it's too big, just crush it with a hammer.

5. OP
    OP
    Kbrown8211

Ratings:
    +0
    I try to keep it simple. Here's the case.[​IMG]
    Here is the internal bit.
    [​IMG]

6. martini4

martini4 Member Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Little more sophisticated than mine...water goes in one end and out then other and hangs on the back of the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Kbrown8211

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I can call it sophisticated since the clean out plug leaked. Instead of pulling it out and Teflon taping it, I overtightened the plug and need to figure out how to get it back off. Oops...

8. martini4

martini4 Member Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Oh yes, I got to excited and forgot the Teflon tape at first too