Close encounter of the filter kind!

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Meeps83, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I just did a water change and when I plugged my filter back in and flipped the power button, nothing. Luckily, because I can sometimes be mechanically inclined, I pulled everything apart and cleaned the motor out. I think it was clogged with algae because that's the only thing that I got out of the filter. I did save the day though as my filter is now working exceptionally well again.

2. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Haha, that's happened to me too. One of my filters has a wierd plug, so it's hard to get it started if it turns off. Of course, it usually just needs a good scrubbing.

3. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

Isn't that the truth. After this happened I started thinking that I rinse the media occasionally, but I don't do any maintenance on my filters. Guess I need to start so this doesn't happen all the time!

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I usually have trouble getting the 405 started after a water change - it's the only one out of 12 that gives me any trouble. It's a problem with the plug, I think.

5. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

I've noticed that in the last 2-3 weeks or so when I turn everything back on after a water change the filter motor isn't turning or anything. No power. Usually, flipping the power button on my strip a few times fixes it so I'm not sure what the real issue is. Even after I cleaned the filter I'm still having the same issue.

6. Jaysee

Sounds electrical to me.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

With my ATs you normally have to refill them with water manually and then plug them in.

8. Jaysee

What's an AT?

9. OP
    OP
    Meeps83

I do. I fill it up and then turn it on because the grinding noise when you forget is horrible, plus I don't want to burn out the motor. It does seem electrical as with a little fiddling it usually starts right up. I re-seated it on the tank and it is quieter with less vibration now, but that didn't help either. It's a fairly new power strip, but maybe I'll switch positions to see if that connection is faulty. Or maybe it's the filter itself. Since it's just a quarantine tank, I can easily throw on a different filter but I prefer the AC's....just maybe not this particular one.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Aqua-tech.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice