Clint My Betta Is Acting Strange.

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Clint lives alone in a 10 gallon tank, all the water perimeters are good and the temp is 78°. I did do a water change for him last night.

For the last couple of days, he has been hiding all the time. I don't even see him come up to gulp for air very often. I move things around in his tank to find him and he swims out. He is swimming just find, and his fins are ok so no signs of any disease like fin rot or swim bladder problems. There seems to be nothing causing stress.
I hate to start medicating his tank without some obvious signs of disease.

He has not eaten in the last couple of days.

I have had him for a year now, and he has never acted this way before. But I am worried about him.

techfool

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When they get old (which can be just a year after you get them) they go downhill really fast. Hiding and not eating.
I've lost a couple of bettas the same way that weren't old.
All in heated, filtered, planted tanks so I'm puzzled as to what caused it.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do also suspect that he's old because bettas act like that when they're about to die. Where did you get him from?

OP
R

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Repolie said:
I do also suspect that he's old because bettas act like that when they're about to die. Where did you get him from?
I got Clint from Petsmart, like you have said I don't know how old he is. He was already a full grown Betta when I bought him.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah then I'm sure he's old. Petstore bettas can come in a variety of ages, so you won't know how old they are and if he was already full grown and you had him for a year, old.

OP
R

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Clint getting old is starting to make sense. He used to be very active and paid attention to me when I talked to him or fed him. But for awhile now he has been just sitting around in the tank, most of the time on his hammock where he could just reach up to gulp air. He would eat a little, but then ignore the rest of his food that he used to eat. I have a glass cup that I can place high up into his tank, I put frozen blood worms it for him. He used to guard the cup, by setting in it and constantly nibbling at the worms. But here lately he would swim inside of it, take a nibble and swim back to his hammock. I would end up having to throw what was left of the worms away.

New Threads