Climbing perch sick

1. SourCream Guest

I just noticed that my climbing perch has been acting weird in the surface this day and he is probably sick because he always like to stay at the bottom and he is swimming like he is itchy or something.I moved him and he flopped out from the shelf in which I hope did not cause him any injury.I might have noticed spots probably ick or something

Can he get hurt from the fall. I heard a flop

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. SourCream Guest

He is still a juvenile thats why I got him this size [​IMG]
    He was in green water thats why he was acting weak and I got him out put him in a temporary holding place then he flopped out and it took me a while to find him almost lifeless then he flip-flopped then I remebered that he was a climbing perch (breathes air provided he is moist) and even if he is I wouldnt take him out of water I felt so stupid and careless but I put him in back in his new clean tank and he seems fine he still remembers his clumsy owner....Im so stupid I let this happen..

Sorry for the long story

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That tank is way too small, even for a juvenile. They can get around 6 inches, so a 29 or 40 gal breeder would be the minimum size tank. He'll become stunted if you leave him in that small tank.

I don't see a filter on that tank. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Without a cycled tank, your fish could die from ammonia poisoning.

If you can upgrade to a larger tank with a filter and a heater now, you should rehome this fish. He will either become sick and stunted from living in this tank or will die from ammonia poisoning.