Climbing/escaped Rcs

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by HolyCarp, Apr 9, 2017.

1. HolyCarp

HolyCarp Valued Member Member

So I thought I'd share an experience with the community.

Around midnight I decided to clean the shrimp tank nothing special just a small Vac and 10% water change. Same old routine except I didn't wait long enough for my replacement water to hit room temp, the difference didn't feel like much so I went for it. After nearly 10 minutes went by I notice about 8 of my shrimp pulling a shawshank. My colony is about 100 strong and they seemed fine, but here I am with these guys and gals trying to climb past the water line.

I start to get nervous when I see that number hit 20. I test all the parameters and everything is normal likes it's been for months. The temperature in the tank was 2 degrees higher then normally (usually 70). I figured that this had to be an oxygen issue. I never thought I'd really use chemistry but oxygen doesn't diffuse well in higher temperature water, essentially the hotter the water the less oxygen it has.

I grabbed some ice cubes, shut down the lights, turned a chop stick into a temporary pull up bar and waited. Those 20 shrimp slowly dwindled in numbers. Not one got to the rim of the tank and they all seem to have chilled out. They even climbed back down into the water after a visit to the surface. No deaths, just some odd behavior.
    [​IMG]

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Wow, didn't know that shrimp could do that. Well, there's another reason why we should keep lids in our tanks.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

My amano shrimp do that every water change even though temperature and Ph are the same and the water is treated.

4. OP
    OP
    HolyCarp

HolyCarp Valued Member Member

I have an Amano that does that every once in a while too. Even when I was doing a drip acclimation he was climbing out of the bowl I had him in. Must be something they do to populate different areas.

I couldn't sleep last night till I built a cover for the opening in the back of the tank, just for some peace of mind.. I didn't wanna end up smelling decomposing shrimp somewhere in my room.

5. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

I read somewhere that amano shrimps can crawl out of water and run like cockroach

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice