Cleft Shell

AlleyOH
What can I do to help/fix a cleft shell?

At the end of December I bought 9 mystery snails from Petland. They weren’t moving around in the tank and they all had some form of thin broken shells. They now have access to calcium in their tank since they’ve been with me but today I noticed this guy is forming a cleft.

The lightest color of his shell by the wire is what he had when I brought him home. The new growth is darker but two toned.
Any help is appreciated.

B9119340-C6E9-47DF-BD02-00DD7EBA45F4.jpeg

Advertisement
BReefer97
I found this for you that may help:

“Holes and clefts caused by calcium deficiencies, diet issues, tank conditions, or damages can be “patched.” Snail shell patching can be researched on youtube, facebook, or various blogs. A strong diet of calcium and iodide supplements is recommended after patching or noticing these damages.”

Source: Mystery Snail Care, Diet, Tank Requirements

And here’s a video showing you how to patch it, though I’m not exactly sure this would work for a mystery snail developing a cleft:

AlleyOH
I have another from the same batch starting a cleft too. Calcium is fine in the tank so it could be protein related? They eat algae wafers and leftover Betta pellets. Maybe I need to find another kind of sinking pellet to substitute? They are not fans of vegetables.
Finding something without copper seems to be difficult. That link also mentions iodine, I’ll have to look to see if there is iodine in what I’m feeding.

Advertisement
12Cin12
HI AlleyOH!
I am going to chime in here because I've noticed a BIG improvement in my mystery snails since making the following changes:

I keep the PH above 7 (had a thinning shell at just 6.2-6.8)
Calcium tabs once a week
Cuttle bone pieces in tank
One thing to try? I've read that liquid calcium that is fed to reptiles can help, but i've never tried it.

But the most improvement came when I started feeding LifeWithPets snail food recipe. My gold snail seemed to double in size, when I thought she was going to die! Here's the link:

Snail Food
I had been feeding HikarI algae wafers, but those are more of a treat apparently.
Good luck on your little snails - I love mine too! Keep us posted!

AlleyOH
HI AlleyOH!
I am going to chime in here because I've noticed a BIG improvement in my mystery snails since making the following changes:

I keep the PH above 7 (had a thinning shell at just 6.2-6.8)
Calcium tabs once a week
Cuttle bone pieces in tank
One thing to try? I've read that liquid calcium that is fed to reptiles can help, but i've never tried it.

But the most improvement came when I started feeding LifeWithPets snail food recipe. My gold snail seemed to double in size, when I thought she was going to die! Here's the link:

Snail Food
I had been feeding HikarI algae wafers, but those are more of a treat apparently.
Good luck on your little snails - I love mine too! Keep us posted!

Hey Cin!
I have 2 wondershells in the tank (one on each end) and it’s reading between a 7.8 and 8.3. I’m going to pick up Cuttlebone when I’m out again. Which should be later today. Mine are Tetra PlecoWafers which has got their appetite going and they really move around. They have grown a lot in 3 weeks, I can’t believe the new shell on some of them. I’m going to look at that recipe and see if I can easily get the ingredients or have to order them. I’m out in what seems like the middle of nowhere.

12Cin12
Hey Cin!
I have 2 wondershells in the tank (one on each end) and it’s reading between a 7.8 and 8.3. I’m going to pick up Cuttlebone when I’m out again. Which should be later today. Mine are Tetra PlecoWafers which has got their appetite going and they really move around. They have grown a lot in 3 weeks, I can’t believe the new shell on some of them. I’m going to look at that recipe and see if I can easily get the ingredients or have to order them. I’m out in what seems like the middle of nowhere.
I order stuff off the internet all the time! Even though I live in a metro area, the traffic makes it annoying to get out.
It sounds like your little guys are getting awesome care! Theyre lucky they found you! I wonder how long they floundered at that petland :-(
I feed algae wafers too, but I've heard theyre full of fillers.
If you think it is a protein problem, you could feed them thawed frozen blood worms in addition to the plecowafers. Mine love bloodworms.
The snail food recipe I use uses Rephashy Soilent Green mixed with clacium carbonate and bloodworms.

AlleyOH
I order stuff off the internet all the time! Even though I live in a metro area, the traffic makes it annoying to get out.
It sounds like your little guys are getting awesome care! Theyre lucky they found you! I wonder how long they floundered at that petland :-(
I feed algae wafers too, but I've heard theyre full of fillers.
If you think it is a protein problem, you could feed them thawed frozen blood worms in addition to the plecowafers. Mine love bloodworms.
The snail food recipe I use uses Rephashy Soilent Green mixed with clacium carbonate and bloodworms.
I’m not sure what protein % they need. These are 28% protein. I’m going to try the snail food.
Half the shells were empty and these little guys were all clammed up in the middle. Water was dirty too.
Here are a few of the others that I got. I brought 9 home that day.
9165595E-0EE3-4376-967F-00A9D3567E9B.jpeg

563D92A1-CD27-4288-B14E-16F7662DA3D7.jpeg
This one I thought was going to injure itself on the sharp shell. It thankfully started growing within a few days

12Cin12
Awe poor things! If that shell was a lady’s fingernail I would say “that girl needs some gelatin!” - Which is high in protein.
Is the new growth soft? I’m just curious at this point. I’m trying to add to my snail knowledge because I’d like to do a tall snail tank someday. I find that of all my fishy friends, the mystery snails are my absolute favorite! I love their sweet playful nature.

AlleyOH
Awe poor things! If that shell was a lady’s fingernail I would say “that girl needs some gelatin!” - Which is high in protein.
Is the new growth soft? I’m just curious at this point. I’m trying to add to my snail knowledge because I’d like to do a tall snail tank someday. I find that of all my fishy friends, the mystery snails are my absolute favorite! I love their sweet playful nature.
I almost filed it down. I was so worried about it. No it’s hard. I just took them out of the iso tank last week. And I didn’t even realize it was him! I had to look at all of them to find it!
I want a bigger tank, I have a 29 gallon and a 10 gallon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bettybrown922
Replies
Views
Pringlethesnail
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views