Clear Water (i Have Searched The Forum Already)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Cuqui, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Hello!!

I need some advice on my goldfish tank water.
    It is a 50G tank and I've got two Marineland Magniflow at 220Gallons/hour each.
    All parameters are perfect, Yet I still don't get crystal clear water like I do in my other tanks. The aquarium has been running for one year now.

Population: 4 goldfish, 6 corys and 4 Bumblebee catfish (water at 72 degrees)
    I've been changing about 25% water every 2 days but still... not as clear as I'd like to see it.
    I feed them bloodworms, 3 different kinds of Hikary pellets for goldfish, Api for bottom feeders, and other two foods I can't remember their names now.

I have just done search here in the forum and saw you guys talking about Seachem Purigen.
    I'd like to leave additives as last resource but if that's the thing to do I'm up for it.
    I know Goldfish create a lot of waste but I don't know if four of them are too many.

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You have somewhat of a heavy stock, making it easier for waste to build up. I would advise you run your filters with Seachem Purigen, and filter floss.

That should clear your water up just fine.

3. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Totally agreed with @Fanatic :) I have a slightly overstocked goldie tank myself, do two large water changes a week, and keep floss and Purigen in the filter. I also feed similar to you, but substitute with veggies in the evenings. Veg gets pretty messy, but I clean up any large leftover pieces, and the filter takes care of the rest. Water stays crystal clear and parameters stay well within the safe zone.;)

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Thank you guys!!
    By floss you guys mean the white stuff that feels like a scrubbing sponge?
    I've got that in both filters but will make it sure.
    And will definitely get Purigen.
    My other tanks are barely populated and water looks pretty with less filtration.
    I could move some of the catfish but they have been there since I installed that tank and the bumblebees have their favorite spots. They are happy or that's what I think.

Too bad I bought them without knowing those are wild caught :(
    Saw them at Petsmart one day I was shopping for food and took the 4 they had left.

It's just awesome to see them come out when the lights start dimming

6. TexasGuppy

Filter floss is the poly fill from fabric supply at Walmart or Joanne fabrics etc.
    I would try just the filter floss first, it makes a big difference in my tank. I'm hesitant to add purigen to my tank because I have Amano shrimp and especially a bamboo shrimp that filters his food straight from the water... So I want somewhat dirty water.. :(

7. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

I use polyfill from the sewing store for filter floss. It's the same stuff used for stuffing pillows, just be sure to get 100% poly without any fire retardant qualities. I get a big bag for about $10 and it lasts a good while with changing the floss weekly on the goldie tank.

I couldn't speak much for your other stock, but 4 fancies in your tank is already quite the bioload, so if you are able to move any of the others then I would certainly suggest doing so. Are you keeping the substrate pretty clean? I only keep a thin layer of sand in my goldie tank and clean it well with each water change.

8. OP
    OP
    Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Love you guys! Always so helpful!
    Yeah, I,ve been using that fiber since the late 80's with my first tanks
    My mother was a fashion designer and I used to steal that thing for my fishies from her studio.

I think gravel looks decent. I vacuum it weekly, not too deply to avoid breaking roots. Glass is a little dirty though.

TexasGuppy, I don't have any tiny creatures apart from Ramshorn and Assassin Snails.
    They barely leave anything on the bottom.
    If y'all think I should clean it more thoroughly just let me know.
    I received Purigen today and I'm about to put it in both filters.

Must be the fatties because my other tanks are fine with less filtrating power (ok, and less fish, tbh) IMG_8292.JPG IMG_8293.JPG IMG_8294.JPG IMG_8295.JPG

My lemon baby always in the middle
    Forgot to introduce them.
    Their names are Sushi, Sashimi, Wagashi, Wasabi and the new teeny tiny guy is Dorayaki
    I shouldn't even look at fish when I go get fresh food. I'm too weak.

Naming them is probably a bad idea although I've always been able to keep them for many years.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Guess what? I have just made a sad discovery :banghead:
    Around 2:00pm I found my old Betta dead (forgot to mention there was one hiding in this tank)
    It was really shocking because he was 3 and very healthy.
    And I started thinking there was something really wrong there.
    I have come to my bedroom about 1 hour ago and all my fishies were close to the surface trying to breathe.
    Corys were acting weird.
    And water still cloudy.
    And I just made a partial change this morning.

Well, I stepped on my stool (I'm short LOL) to pet my babies and OMG water stench like dead rat :hungover:
    I'm with my allergies and didn't notice anything during changes but shoving my head there was the answer to water problems.

I have taken most plants out, vacuumed (sorry if misspelled) and kept looking for the corpse.
    The only fish that could be dead without me noticing is a Bumblebee as those are hiding all the time and then at night when they come out to eat they do it separately.
    Still... I haven't found anything :(
    Maybe one of them died and the snails ate it and the rest got dissolved?

Counting my Bumblebees is really complicated and due to the poor quality of the water I didn't want to scare them too much.
    I have put everything upside down yet nothing looked like a corpse except for an area that had all gravel blackened in one spot. I took LOTS of black debris or whatever the heck it was.

And... 50% water change.

Fish are swimming normally and water stinks less but I'm scared now.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
    Guess I've got too many plants in this one :(
    They make it really hard to find anybody.

It looks awful even after changing half of the water and emptying both filters.
    I can only hope I've taken all the corpse leftovers or whatever it is messing up my tank out.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  10. TexasGuppy

I have a corner tank with dark tint back and black sand, so it can be hard to see. Found a dead panda in the back that hadn't seen in a few days.. thought he was just hiding.
    Sorry about your betta.

11. OP
    OP
    Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Oh no :(
    It really hurts, specially when you've had them for a while.
    I'm still dealing with stinky water and considering taking everything out and cleaning it.
    I'm making daily changes of op to 50% which I'm not sure if it will be ok for the fish.
    There must be something buried and the only ones that could do that are the bumblebees. :(

This feels like an episode of The X Files.

12. TexasGuppy

Try activated carbon, supposed to help with smells. If you have some, change it, it wears out in a month or so.

13. OP
    OP
    Cuqui

Cuqui New Member Member

Will try that.
    I never put carbon unless it is really necessary :)
    My fishies are driving me crazy this Spring!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice