Clear Tank = Cycled Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by wapooshe, Apr 25, 2017.

1. wapoosheValued MemberMember

I'm getting kind of excited now cause right now I'm about 12 days in fishless cycling and i had a bacterial bloom that clouded my water for like a week. But, now my water is nearly completely clear :). I was wondering does this mean my cycle is completed, I don't have a test kit so I'm going to head out to the LFS to get my water parameters checked asap!

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

It doesn't always mean that, def. go get the water checked.

3. GreendaleCommunityTankValued MemberMember

Woohoo! That's exciting stuff! :) As @APierce mentioned, clear water doesn't always mean cycled water. It's great that your LFS offers water checks! Down the line, you may want to consider a liquid test kit. It can be a bit of an investment (as are most things in the hobby ;)), but it's way more accurate than testing strips and more convenient than driving to the LFS. Good luck with the test! I hope you're cycled soon :D

4. KiksWell Known MemberMember

I agree with everything that has already been said.

Getting your own API test kit would be great and make sure to ask for exact numbers when you go get your water tested. Often when people go to a store to get their water tested and they come back here, people ask what the parameters were and all they've said at the store is "safe for fish".

5. wapoosheValued MemberMember

My LFS is only a few blocks away so it's not too bad of a walk :) but i do like the idea of just being able to test the water any time I want!

6. _IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

My water actually only started clouding and getting algae when my cycle completed, so no guarantees there. It would be awesome if your tank is cycled after 12 days, but usually tanks take at least a week longer than that. The API test kit is great:)

7. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Yeah get the water tested first, you don't want any surprises. I would even wait another week or two before putting fish in just to make sure it's good. You probably want to get a good sample of readings.

The car might look good but until you check under the hood and kick the tires it might be crummy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice