Clear Slime Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Skaribrat, Apr 22, 2017.

1. SkaribratNew MemberMember

I have clear slime all over my tank, it's not terrible, I've seen worse, but I don't want it to get worse. It's on the plants and walls mostly. 68°f (axolotl) tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. He eats whole worms, so there is no left over food ever in the tank. His poop is also removed daily with a turkey baster; it's left in a neat lil pile so little to no waste is left in the tank. Is there any way to rid my tank of this slime? It's starting to clog my sponge filter. Also it looks ugly. I use API stress coat and have been doing 25 to 50% water changes for the last 3 days and wiping down the plants and walls. Do I just continue to do this until it goes away? I was thinking about adding another sponge filter and/or air stone. I did change the sand last week, could that cause some kind of slime spike? My two small tropical tanks are perfect. I accidentally deleted the close up picture of the slime, this picture just shows that it's kind of murky.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

It's due to overuse of stress coat. I've stopped using the product for that reason.

3. SkaribratNew MemberMember

Awesome! Thanks! I didn't realize I was overusing it.

4. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

It's the stress coat. It's got Aloe Vera in it and will eventually ruin your whole equipment, plus the substance is too thick long term for gill health.

5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I don't use and wouldn't use any of those artificial stress coat products. They contain aloe or resins that can obviously coat, clog, and ruin impellers, filter media, etc. Also I don't believe can be good for fish long term.

Instead use something that promotes the natural growth and maintenance of their slimecoat like seachems stress guard or prime.

6. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Curious what your thoughts are on seachem destress? I snagged some because they say stresscoat cloggs up purigen and their stuff doesn't. I have yet to use it in my aquarium...only used it in a bucket hospital tank deal when one of my cichlids got beat up.

Just wondering if that might be a better choice for op if wanting to continue using a coat product.

Either you edited that after I saw it or I'm a idiot lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  7. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I'm not familiar with distress. Seachem is pretty reliable but I've only used stress guard

8. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

Thats what I meant, I apparently should not post from my phone... Thanks :p

9. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Oh haha I was curious if they came out with something new. I'm certainly a seachem fan and prefer their products over most others.

But yes I use stress guard often all of my new fish get quarantined with it and anyone who loses a fight.

Unless you have very aggressive fish IMO I don't think its necessary to regularly use something to maintain their slime coat, doing frequent changes with prime and having clean water will promote the natural production of their slime coat. I only use stress guard on shipped fish/new arrivals and when they have minor injuries. Using those additives that add artificial slime coats with aloe and resin is certainly bad for your aquarium and I can't imagine it's healthy for fish in the long term.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice