Clear Poo

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know I've read a few things on clear poo and pregnancy in live bearing fish. A few days ago one of my platys had babies - it was amazing to watch. I hadn't realized that the babies came out tail first (I just assumed they would be head first and then swim away) anyway, all the time she was birthing she had a trail of what looked like clear poo coming out of her.

I now have another female who I know is pregnant cause I can see the babies in her and she now has this clear poo thing.

My question is - is this a sort of placenta type thing and she is in labour?

If she is I'll stay up and watch her so she doesn't get the fry but if not I'll go to bed later.

Due to the time difference with most of the members - if anything happens before I get a reply - I suppose I can let you all know the answer to my own question!!!

???

Oh and can anyone tell me how to announce a topic? I've done it before but can't do it now. Not computer literate I'm afraid. :

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I so envy you seeing your Platty give birth.. my livebearers wait until I'm conked out, snoring up a symphony before they do the deed.. good stuff.. as to your last question, I 'm afraid I'm as clueless.. nevertheless, congrats on your new fry.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations on the lovely experience! It must have been fascinating. I also envy you.

Now about the topics. The newest topics automatically are listed at the bottom of the home page for those of us who come online to see or all we have to do is click the small triangle next to the "HOME" button at the top of the page to see the topics that have been posted since we were last here. So you do not need to do a thing but post your topic just like you did and we will see it when we check our lists.

It is so nice to meet you. Welcome to Fishlore.com. This is a friendly forum. We have a lot of types of interests here and many types of tanks and pets represented. The one thing we all have in common is the love for the fish or other animals that we care for. You are welcome to browse through the whole forum and the site for information or to ask any questions you may have or post any comments you may want to. Get to know us and let us know you and I hope you have as good a time here as I have had.

Rose

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well - I think the clear poo is a sign of imminent birthing.  She had 10 babies today.  All doing well.

Just 3 more mummys to give birth and then that should be it for the next 28 days!!!!

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the clear poo isn't dead babies?

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
No it's not dead babies cause it comes out in a long strand like normal poo.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you have plants they might like it(the plants)
Have you made diet changes with the fish?

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
No changes in Diet. I feed them all very varied diets anyway. They never have the same thing two nights running. I feed them flake, frozen foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworm, Mysis and lobster eggs. Dried Tubifix worms. Live food such as Daphnia and Blood Worm and also fresh veg such as cucumber and lettuce. I only have live plants and I haven't changed any of them.

Apart from my theory on a placenta type discharge I can't think of anything else it could be.

All the other fish are pooping normally. It's just the pregnant ones and soon after they give birth.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Patchspud said:
I know I've read a few things on clear poo and pregnancy in live bearing fish.  A few days ago one of my platys had babies - it was amazing to watch.  I hadn't realized that the babies came out tail first (I just assumed they would be head first and then swim away)  anyway, all the time she was birthing she had a trail of what looked like clear poo coming out of her.

I now have another female who I know is pregnant cause I can see the babies in her and she now has this clear poo thing.

My question is - is this a sort of placenta type thing and she is in labour?

If she is I'll stay up and watch her so she doesn't get the fry but if not I'll go to bed later.

Due to the time difference with most of the members - if anything happens before I get a reply - I suppose I can let you all know the answer to my own question!!!

???

Oh and can anyone tell me how to announce a topic?  I've done it before but can't do it now.  Not computer literate I'm afraid.  :
Ullo Patchspud. Congrats on being able to see the birth. How special!

Can't tell you what the transparent poo-like thing is, but it's definitely not placenta. Only mammals (except marsupials) have placenta. Your fry basically hatch inside the female, but do have an egg stage - as in they do not get their nutrients from a uterus/placenta situation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom