Cleanup crew that doesn't include snails?

1. RonDutt Member Member

I have a pretty big ICK!!! factor when it comes to snails =/ Are there any other FW cleanup crew that will clean the substrate? I do weekly water changes but wouldn't mind having a little help with food the barbs miss and the loach+pleco ignore. The barbs are always at the middle/top of the tank and have their own spot to go chill/stare at the floor. After they feed at the top/middle, they completely ignore (or don't see) any food pellets or anything that might have sunk to the bottom.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

my all time favorite piggies are cories, ottos, and bn's plecs...

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

In that size tank you could have a good size school of Corys and a Bristlenose plec too.
    Have you figures out what kind of Loach you have yet? Nost loaches really like to be in a group and show their natural behaviour better in a group.
    Carol

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, corys are the way to go. In a 75 gallon, I would do 12 of the same species.

5. RonDutt Member Member

I've read at a lot of places that cory cats don't really eat the leftovers. They eat when its feeding time but just roam around afterwards. The LFS just got some albino pygmy cories so I'll give it a try tonight :D

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

My cories eat leftovers.
    They are awesome. I don't think you'll regret getting them at all.

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Albino pygmy corys?? Is that what the LFS is selling them as?

They eat leftovers, but if the corys are leaving leftovers then you are feeding WAY too much.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Corys will eat anything they find in the substrate but need to be fed food just for them also. there shouldn't be many left overs in the substrate for them to scavenge
    Carol

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you can also mix all kinds of cories..they all love to "party" together....

10. RonDutt Member Member

Yeah, they have normal Albino Coryies and Albino Pygmy Cories. The pygmy are about half the size of the "normal" sized. They're far more active than the normal and don't hide as much as the full size ones.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I haven't heard of albino pygmy corys, and neither has google. I guess they're newly developed....

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

can you mix pygmy cories and regular-size ones? I don't mean to take over your thread, ron, figured you might be interested in the answer too.

13. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

No problem. Cories are totally non agressive. They make up part of a great clean up crew in a couple of my tanks. Khuli Loaches are the others that I find really good for getting any little bits left over. Plecs not so much but I make sure that mine have algae to graze as well as fresh vegies so that may be why mine arn't scavenging for scraps.

14. RonDutt Member Member

Sadly someone put in a reserve order for all 20 they had :( I picked up the normal albino cories.

15. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Pictus catfish are greedy non aggressive fish that eat pretty much anything. Mine often eats any thing left on the floor even after eating his pellets.
    Nick

Forgot too mention, the pictus cats come in 2 different sizes although both are non aggressive.
    The normal pictus gets too 6" and the other one gets to over a foot. They are identical to look at and share the same characteristics(just a heads up on that)

Good luck choosing
    Nick

16. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes :)
    another great suggestion!!! and they never hide or stop moving LOL ....

17. gunner13 Well Known Member Member

Sorry posted it in the wrong post