Question Cleaning Up An Old Tank To Reuse It?

abbied

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a tank I've used previously, and I was wondering what is the best way to clean it?

Previously, it had a betta in it (before that it was brand new) he died from a fungal infection but that was about six months ago now, the tank has been sitting empty since then. I've scrubbed it with just water and a sponge, and it does look clean, but because it's been previously used I'm not sure if there's any danger of the fungus or old bacteria still surviving in the tank, and I don't want any risk of harming the new fish when I get it.

I was also wondering if I could use the filter and heater etc. that came with it if I cleaned them, or would you say it's best to get new ones?

And one more question (sorry) I cleaned the ornaments with scented bleach without realising, several months ago. If I keep rinsing and soaking them in water, is there a way to make them safe again or should I buy new ones?

Sorry these questions seem kind of silly, I'm quite new to this hobby and online there is a lot of conflicting advice.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A lot of people use either water and vinager or an unscented bleach 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. but if its been sitting for that long its more than likely everything is dead in it providing everything was empty and dry. As for the scented bleach ide wait for others to chime in and if it were me that made that mistake I would probaly get new.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
A lot of people use either water and vinager or an unscented bleach 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. but if its been sitting for that long its more than likely everything is dead in it providing everything was empty and dry. As for the scented bleach ide wait for others to chime in and if it were me that made that mistake I would probaly get new.
After using scented bleach: Just wash the non- porous ornaments with soap and water, rinse well then air dry. They should be fine for your tank then. Porous items like driftwood should be soaked for a couple days in dechlorinated water. Fresh water daily, air dry.
Tank: what you did should be fine if tank was allowed to air dry afterward.

New Threads