Cleaning the gravel??

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it ok to clean the gravel while my tank is cycling when I do one of my daily water changes???

When cleaning gravel should I take out the fish??? I mean it will take me while because I can only be on my feet for a little while, and I still have to figure out how to do this gravel cleaner. Maybe it would be less stress if they weren't in there. Also I am really worried about sucking up one of babies.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I never cleaned the gravel while cycling. A little bit of the beneficial bacteria grows there. If there is debris, cut back on feeding and use a (new) turkey baster to suck up leftover food.

Nostrathomas

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I wouldn't recommend cleaning the gravel while the tank is cycling unless it's extra dirty. You need the good bacteria that is in the tank now to help complete the cycle. If you have fish in there already, they're stressed. Hopefully they will all make it, but most fish will either die or suffer in some way when left in a tank that hasn't cycled yet, the ammonia and subsequent nitrites are toxic to them.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Just doing a surface vac to pickup uneatten food and waste would be best since you are cycling. Most of the nitrifying bacteria lives in the filter due to that is where the most water movement is but some dose colonize on the surface of the gravel.

Fish will get stressed from being caught, put into a bucket or whatever and then put back into main tank, so it's best to just leave them in the tank while you do a vac. they will be fine. Just watch them while you do it.

Last edited:

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks

We are at the very end of the cycle and my little guys are doing pretty good. My readings are just a little off.

I'm not going to do the vac thing, but I try out the vac on a bucket of water just so I am sure how to do it.

Thanks
Ayelie

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The best way I could tell you how to use a gravel vacuum is this:

Fill the tube with water from the tank and plug the hose end with your finger. Hold the tube upright and remove your finger from the hose end. As the water in the tube starts flowing through the hose, stick the tube back in the water and it should start siphoning.

I seen a video somewhere around here, but I can't seem to find it now. On my gravel vacuum, the directions weren't so clear so maybe try a google search on your vacuum and see if someone has posted any videos on using it.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone, you've been a great help.

thanks
Ayelie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom