Cleaning the gravel in my new tank.

Shwiggy44

I have another question. I set up my tank just over a couple weeks ago and slowly added fish in to my tank. My ammonia levels are high and so I’m doing a 50% water change and using prime to condition my water. I don’t think my tank is fully cycled and I don’t want to mess up the cycle process. I did a fish in cycle and added fish slowly. I want to know when is a good time to do my first gravel cleaning. I know that beneficial bacteria build up in the gravel and I don’t want to take away bacteria to soon because. I know I need that to have a cycled tank and it it helps with ammonia and Nitrite but I also think that the waist and left over food is causing my ammonia to be high. So when is a good time to do amy first gravel cleaning with out messing up the cycle? Thanks for all of your help!

kallililly1973

Keep up on the routine your doing. Don't touch the gravel ( or filter ) till IMO 3-4 weeks After your tank is cycled. The BB grows mainly in the filter but it also grows on all the other surfaces so let your tank get " established " then continue with your WC routine and vacuum some gravel every WC. Don't do the entire bottom at once.

Shwiggy44

kallililly1973 said:
Keep up on the routine your doing. Don't touch the gravel ( or filter ) till IMO 3-4 weeks After your tank is cycled. The BB grows mainly in the filter but it also grows on all the other surfaces so let your tank get " established " then continue with your WC routine and vacuum some gravel every WC. Don't do the entire bottom at once.
I noticed that there is a slimy residue that’s on my filter pump hose that is causing flakes in my aquarium. If I clean the filter pump hose to remove that slim will I be getting rid of beneficial bacteria or, is that slim waist that needs to be removed from the pump hose.

kallililly1973

If it's white and flaky it's most likely just a Calcium buildup from your water. You can try to put a net where it is and wipe it off with a paper towel or if you have a piece of prefilter sponge. Just wipe it into the water and let the net catch it.

Shwiggy44

kallililly1973 said:
If it's white and flaky it's most likely just a Calcium buildup from your water. You can try to put a net where it is and wipe it off with a paper towel or if you have a piece of prefilter sponge. Just wipe it into the water and let the net catch it.
I cleaned the hose and removed the build up of the slim on and in the hose. It was a brownish clear slim that was on the outside and inside of the filter pump hose. I looked and felt around and it only seemed to be on the hose. I am wondering if that is also waist that needed to be cleaned.

Shwiggy44

kallililly1973 said:
It’s slim and when I would be able to take the flakes out with my long tweezers the flakes were slimy too.

kallililly1973

With being a newer tank i wouldsay the brown slime is Diatoms which usually always show up in new tanks and eventually go away on their own. As for the white i still think it was just calcium buildup and some of the diatoms probably made it a bit slimy-er.

NightShift

I rarely vacuum the gravel in my tanks, and when I do, I just go over it lightly to remove anything visible. My shrimp and snails usually take care of every thing else.

Top Bottom