Cleaning The Cleaning Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by spike98, Jun 20, 2018.

1. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

My divided betta tank recently got velvet and I'm currently working on treating it. I was wondering since I use the same bucket for water changes should I worry about it transferring through water changes and what is something I could use to clean the equipment? Would just hot bath water kill any thing left in the bucket?

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

Yep! A hot bath should do the trick. Once you get over velvet, clean the tank with the bettas in the pet store jars (only for a day) this should enable you to clean the substrate more thoroughly. I’ve also read that not having light will kill velvet. So, if your water change bucket goes without light, you’ll be fine( still, use a bath for insurance.) I’d do hot baths with all the equipment that may have touched the tank. As for your filter, swish it around in hot water. Don’t scorch it by putting it in water above 100 degrees. If you do, it’ll kill good bacteria. As for the rest of the tank, get it as hot as your hands can tolerate.
    Try keeping your tank completely dark for a few days.

3. OP
    OP
    spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

Thanks and already have the tank covered and currently medicating. Although one betta is looking alittle weak I check on his condition tomorrow. I also have sand substrate so getting a deep clean is hard but I don't see it getting far past the surface.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice