Cleaning tank

Karma23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay so my Betta Leonidas the II seems to be loving his 10 gallon tank. Its been nearly a month since I got it but unfortunately their has been a brown algae outbreak which i know has been caused by uneaten food. I'm still waiting from ebay on a battery vac for the gravel. I have been keeping up with 10% water changes weekly but the tank has gone so unsightly I just have to clean it. I just want to now how other forum members clean their tanks? I have a spare 2.8 gallon tank which I was gonna use for Quarantine but should I put the betta into that tank with the old tank water or would a lidded bucket do for the short time of cleaning? What would be a good way to not make my Betta go into shock when introducing him into the new water? Those he need to acclimated again? In the quarantine tank I have brine baby shrimp hatching so he can have a bit of a treat while he is there Thanks in advance.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i would take the decor out that has the algae and clean that(and of course wipe/scrape the glass) also maybe you should up your water change from a weekly %10.. to possible twice a week %10, or %15-%20 weekly.

In the quarantine tank I have brine baby shrimp hatching so he can have a bit of a treat while he is there
don't they need SW to hatch? bettas are FW fish so SW would be really bad for him

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you have a spare bag laying around, you could do the floating bag method. I would do it if the water temp was off quite a bit. You could put him in just about anything that he wont jump out of for the short cleaning period, as long as it gets a fresh oxygen supply. As far as cleaning, elbow grease,...and maybe a brillo pad if your tank is glass. For any gravel , I use a really fine spaghetti strainer and the hose pipe out back, then rinse the grave with some dechlorinated water before using it, but that was before I invested in a gravel vac. ;D

Not sure about the SW thing.

Last edited:

Karma23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the suggestion guys and your right bout the baby shrimp they were in a salt solution so that's a no go anyways. I have an old lunch box that I use for water changes and I could put a lid on it. I think then I will gradually put new water in with the old water. Think I will up the 15% water change and I have a clown pleco in with him but he doesn't seem to be eating much algae. Only got driftwood in recently though so hopefully that changes.

Karma23

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some Pleco diet is made up of wood and not to much plant.. may want to check it out ..just a thought
Ya just got the wood into the tank yesterday I received it from the mail. I had planned on getting ghost shrimp to clean but unfortunately the pet store had none so I asked for a bottom feeder who would clean and they recommended a clown pleco. First and last time I blindly buy something without researching first. Live and learn I suppose..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom