Cleaning Tank With Fry Help

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Weegleajeems, May 22, 2019.

1. Weegleajeems New Member Member

I am just back from a long weekend away with my family, we came back and found some fry in our tank! One of our female Platies did look pregnant before we left but we are still fairly new to this so wasn't sure. We have spotted three fry but there are plenty of hiding spaces so there may be more. They seem to be quite happy they are swimming around near the bigger fish and are coming out to eat. I was just wondering if I should go ahead with cleaning the tank and changing the water as planned this week or will this upset them?

2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

You can put something over the end of your siphon such as panty hose or cheese cloth. I usually skipped gravel vac for a week or 2 when I had little ones in the tank.

3. Weegleajeems New Member Member

Thanks, I went ahead and cleaned the tank and found a fourth little one

4. Msdp11009 New Member Member

I bet your kids were so excited! I always am....and I am an adult!

I wait a week then only vacuum a section of the gravel each time I clean. I disrupt any plants in decorations that are in the area i am cleaning, wait a few minutes for fry to move if they were in the decor, then use my python, just keeping it deep in the rocks. I keep my eyes out for fry and shut it off before pulling it out.

By one month they are taking on the shape of mini platies and swimming around mostly. Until then the are so tiny and grow in length before depth of body.