Cleaning Tank Glass (Waterspots!) Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Treefork, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Hey what's the safest and best thing to use to clean my external tank glass. I've got water spots all over and well, using a wet cloth doesn't really remove water spots. :)

2. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Vinager works great on hard water spots ..just smells

3. OP
    OP
    Treefork

We talkin just some plain white vinegar?

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

5. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

For the outside if the vinegar doesn't work get a small can of Turtle Wax brand rubbing compound (sold at auto parts stores). There is a big write up on here about it and I have used it on a used tank I bought. In short the abbraisives that turtle wax uses are not as hard a glass so it won't scratch your glass. It is safe to use inside the tank before you add fish. I spent about three evening trying to clean up a 120g tank I bought used, using vinegar, CLR, etc. Once I got the rubbing compound I did the entire tank in about an hour. Works great.

6. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I have always used my breath and an old bath towel. Never had a problem.

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I guess I've gotten pretty lucky. I wipe the outside of my tanks down after water changes and don't usually have a problem. The used tank water has even removed dog drool spots.

8. OP
    OP
    Treefork

I mainly have waterspots and kid fingerprints, and sometimes food from little faces pressed into the glass. :)

9. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I use water, white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Wipe on with a rag and off with a paper towel. The alcohol helps it dry with out streaks. Works on windows also ;)

Do not get it in the tank!

10. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Well, if you try all the above and you still have the issue, try a razor blade or 000 steel wool, the finest steel wool available.

11. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

How terrible of an idea is it to spray Windex or something similar into a paper towel (away from the tank) and then wipe it down? For just the outside of the glass, I mean.

12. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

i know people who are deathly afraid of anything ammonia near the tank, i dont just out of precausion, i usually just stick my clean hand into the tank, sprits the water off my fingers onto the glass and clean it with a clean microfiber cloth, i stole like, 5 of them from my kitchen and use them solely for aquarium maitinence.

13. rae64

rae64 Well Known Member Member

I did the above and had no problems.... not saying it was a good idea...

LOL: when I was responding the windex comment was "the above"

14. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

I use windex & clean paper towel... If I can really be bothered, I use some good ol' hot breath and a clean cheesecloth...
    Always works for me!

Provided you have a cover on your tank, and spray chemicals away from the tank if you don't, I don't see why it matters what you put on the OUTSIDE of the tank... JMO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice