Cleaning Tank After Disease

1. Jessiechuuu

Jessiechuuu New Member Member

Hello, I know there are a lot of similar posts but I just wanted to see what y'all thought about my specific situation...

First off, my tank: I have a 5 gallon, filtered (tetra whisper internal filter that came with the tank filled with biorings and a sponge like media), heated and moderately planted. The tank is tested (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) weekly and is cycled. I do weekly 20% water changes.

So here's my situation... I had a betta (Prince Loo ) for about 2 years and he suddenly died of dropsy - I had purchased live plants and a few neurites from my LFS a few months before that and I was suspicious that maybe something nasty hitched a ride on them. Another possibility is the ambient room temperature would sometimes be unsteady as we didn't have central air.

The tank sat empty for a few weeks and then I got another betta fish (Gluten Free Fish Sticks :)). He was fine and adapted well, but I was still worried about the temperature fluctuations so a few months later I moved to a new house that has central air. The only thing is, after the move he was lethargic at first, it really really stressed him out and after some time his fins started looking tattered. I treated him with Kanaplex to no avail... I live in baltimore and the tap water isn't great so thinking this might be a factor, so I slowly over 2 months switched him over to spring water and he seemed to be doing better (fins growing back, more active etc.). In the last few weeks however (about 8 months post move) he really took a turn for the worse and developed pine-coned scales and quickly passed.

So here's my thing-- this is my second betta to die of dropsy. I know its a symptom and not a disease but I'm worried that maybe there's something nasty persisting in my aquarium. While it would be great to not have to take down the tank and sterilize it, I'd rather do that than see another fish go this way. What should I do? What is the best way to go about it? And what about the snails?

Thanks so much!

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

My first question is which test kit do you use? Next, what do you feed? And how much?

3. OP
    OP
    Jessiechuuu

Yeah- I use the api master test kit, I'm realizing now after doing some more research I should also test kH and gH, so I've ordered a Kit (API) to begin testing those parameters. I feed two Tetra beta pellets a day and freeze dried blood worms as a treat about once a week (both I soak in a bit of tank water to soften before feeding).
    Another thing I forgot to mention is that I fertilize the water column for the plants once a week with the appropriate amount of Seachem fluorish and excel.
    Thanks!

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Next question is which water conditioner do you use?
    With the betta and snails, I’d do either larger or more frequent water changes. Just keep the water clean until you decide to try another betta. When you do get the betta, see if it will eat a hulled thawed green pea every few days. I think the tank itself will be fine. Just keep doing the water changes. Let us know when you get your next betta. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Jessiechuuu

Sorry for the delay! I use a simple API tap water conditioner, and occasionally stress coat, particularly when I do large water changes.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciated it! I'll keep up the water changes with the snails and let you guys know when I get a new Betta friend :D