Cleaning Silk Plant Decorations

jlong
Does anyone have any suggestons for cleaning silk plant decorations? My tank is just over a month old and may be going through diatom "syndrome". The decorations are just not getting clean by running them under water.
Thanks!

capekate
HI jlong
I have silk plants in my tanks as well. I use an aquarium sponge to wipe off the diatoms in a bucket of tank water during water changes. The sponge helps to get the diatoms off easily. On the hard to get to spots, I just rub them off with my fingers.
Remember to use an aquarium only sponge, as other ones may have chemicals in them that you do not want to get into your tank and make your fish sick.

~ kate

Butterfly
If your tank is young or cycling be careful cleaning to much as the decor is one of the places the beneficial bacteria grows.
carol

capekate
Butterfly said:
If your tank is young or cycling be careful cleaning to much as the decor is one of the places the beneficial bacteria grows.
carol
HI Carol,
I learned that lesson ... on friday I had to do a thorough tank cleaning and vacuuming. I took out all the plants and washed them, vacuumed the whole tank, took out about 60% water in the 29 gallon and a day later had nitrate readings way above 20 and lost a gold gourami and two zebras. All were doing fine before the water change and cleaning.
What are we supposed to do when our silk and plastic plants get so dirty and unsightly? :-\ any advice?
I really loved that beautiful gold gourami.

~ kate

Butterfly
capekate said:
What are we supposed to do when our silk and plastic plants get so dirty and unsightly? :-\ any advice?
I really loved that beautiful gold gourami.

~ kate
If you clean a few at each water change then it shouldn't cause a problem, it's the "gung ho, do them all at once, radical cleaning" that causes the problem.
Carol

capekate
Butterfly said:
If you clean a few at each water change then it shouldn't cause a problem, it's the "gung ho, do them all at once, radical cleaning" that causes the problem.
Carol
Thanks Carol... I guess I am guilty of being a 'gung ho' kinda tank cleaner!
I will take your advice and only do a few plants at a time.. next time.

~ kate

Karma_Sea
I am really lazy, I toss filthy aquarium plants in the dish washer (by themselves, no detergent, extra hot wash) and it cleans them beautifully. I keep about two plants extra plants so the next week I can put them back in the tank in the place of any plants that might need cleaning. I put my decorations in there too from time to time as well when they get bad. Also I was told to never do more than a 50% water change.

Keep in mind I am no expert, but it seems to work for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom