Cleaning schedule

1. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

So I'm new to this and have a question on cleaning. All of my equipment recommended to clean every 2-4 weeks but most everyone on here recommends weekly cleaning/water changes.

My current tank setups are
    38 gal
    Floramax gravel substrate
    Live plants
    5 guppies
    4 swordtails
    1 platy
    5 glo tetras

20 gal
    Floramax gravel substrate
    Live plants
    1 female guppy

My water tests are always perfect (I use a master test kit) and water remains clear. Are weekly changes necessary?

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

Necessary for you fish to live? No.
    Necessary for your fish to thrive? Yes! :)

3. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Would I need to do a full vac or just remove some water and replace?

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

With your stock you can probably get away with only doing the full vac every other week. But yes, just a small partial water change weekly is really very beneficial even if there isn't need to vacuum.

I use sand substrate and I cant stand the sight of the fish poop on my black sand. And I have fish like bn plecos that are poop machines. So the vacuuming is a must for me...at least weekly. But when gravel is used, that poop is camouflaged a bit and it is easier for people to forget it's there and maybe get lazy about vacuuming.

With that being said....if you are going in there with the syphon to change water anyway....why not vacuum while you are at it? There will always be something down there needing to be sucked up!

5. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I vacuum twice a week just to get the uneaten particles and fish poo out of the gravel. And ill usually vacuum until about half the water is siphoned. Half my substrate is sand and i just hover the hose over the top to get any gunk that settles in the dead spots (no flow areas like corners or under drift wood). Dont forget to clean off plants, they collect a lot of gunk too.

If you just replace the water, i imagine that over time youll have a spike or some type of unwanted growth.

6. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I just meant change water between vacs, not in place of them. I guess I could do a partial vac one week and thorough vac the next. I just did a thorough vac and about 50% water change on my larger tank.

7. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Oh! I do 50% 2 times a week and vacuum both times because i have mollies that are so dirty lol. I could vacuum daily and still get lots of waste. I just do it as a precaution because i over feed (mollie are pigs and i need to make sure my corys dont starve) but if your water parameters are always normal with your current schedule then you're doing fine :)

On my 10 gallon betta tank i just kind of stir up the gravel and drag my net thru the water to get all the settled gunk inbewteen water changes.

So i guess it depends on how dirty your fish are.

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Good idea on stirring and skimming! I could definitely do that quite often.

I really try not to over feed but I'm sure I do from time to time. It's just so fun watching them eat!