Cleaning river rock

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by domingo3, Mar 24, 2010.

1. d

domingo3 Valued Member Member

I picked up some river rock from a landscaping company. It was under 10 dollars for 100 pounds. Trouble is, it's super muddy. I tried rinsing in a bucket. It got some mud off. Then I tried doing a little at a time in a colander. Then I got frustrated with how slow the process was, and dumped half of it in the kitchen sink and rinsed a bit at a time in my hands. After I filled the bucket up with rocks, I filled it again with water - still more grungy water.

Does anyone have suggestions for what the most effective way to clean this stuff is?

Thanks

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Domingo,

Just some good hot water and a strong elbow. (NO SOAPS!) Yep, screamed it :)
    to remove the mud.

If you happen to have a pressure washer that would work well too.

Ken

3. s

sj74 New Member Member

So is river rock safe for a freshwater aquarium if it is washed thoroughly?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I used pea gravel that was super dirty. It takes a lot of rinsing (as you found out) and patience to get it clean.
    I took it ouside, put some in a bucket and used the hose on the fastest hardest spray.
    Most of the crap will overflow with the water.
    Small amounts at a time helps :)

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Yes, it should be perfectly fine as long as it's washed well. If you really have any doubts you can always boil it to be more safe.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice