Cleaning questions

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by jmoneyisback, Jul 25, 2015.

1. jmoneyisback

jmoneyisback Valued Member Member

So I'm doing a water change today or tomorrow and have a couple of questions..

1) What's the best way to get the gravel around the plants without disturbing them too much? I had a diatom situation so a decent portion of my top layer is covered in it so I want to clean it. Also, what's the best way to clean the gravel? Just rinse and rub that stuff off?

2) Should I be cleaning the part on the HOB filter that is in the tank and sucks the water up?

Thanks

---J

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You can just poke the gravel vacuum around the roots of the plant to get any debris out of them.

Pick up a couple of nerite snails to help clean up your diatoms. They will happily eat it. You can try and wipe them off but there isn't an easy way to get them off substrate and they usually come right back :(

I got rid of mine by picking up some Seachem Phosguard and putting it in my filter. I also got a phosphate test. My diatoms are totally gone now. They are the one thing that can ruin an experience of a new tank. You can try and wait it out but if they're in your source water they will always be an issue, some are also added in with food.

Yes, definitely rinse your filter materials in a bucket of tank water you take out. If you have never rinsed them they are probably very dirty and may take some swishing around in a few buckets of old tank water. You can also use dechlorinated tap but tank water is always safe.

If you meant the impeller, then yes, usually the tube pulls right off and your can clean it with a bottle brush or toothbrush. The impeller itself is often easy to remove and clean with a toothbrush itself.

3. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

How many snails do you think? I have a 29 gallon tank. Will they be safe with a BR and Krib in the tank?

4. CindiL

Is BR a blue ram? If yes, my ram totally ignores them, most fish do and they can hide in their shells if there is an issue. I don't know about the krib.

I have two in my 30 long. You don't have to feed them separately, the diatoms, algae and bio-film usually are enough. You can not clean the back wall if you want to make sure there is a readily available food source for them though once the diatoms are gone.

Edit: I see you meant bolivian ram. Yes, should be fine. Even my betta in another tank ignores them.

5. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Bolivian ram. I wiped the front and the sides the other week. But with all the plants and the cave, I can't get to the back part of the tank, so I'm sure there's plenty of diatoms for them over there.

6. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Just picked up 3 snails---they are kind of on the small side, but I'll just let them do their thing.

7. CindiL

Did you get the zebra or the polka dot?

8. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

It looks like this but they're only about 1/2" so it's hard to differentiate the lines.

snailnerite_54208.jpg

9. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

I call that one a tire track nerite, I have one in my tank (lines are farther apart) with 2 zebra nerites.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Just a thought. My kribs pick on the mystery snail in my 55. There's enough space for him to just go elsewhere in the tank, but if it's near the krib then the krib will poke at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

So this morning one of the snails was on the heater. A couple hours later, it was upside laying on the gravel...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. CindiL

Sometimes they fall off things and have a hard time righting themselves. Did you flip him back over? I have to do this here and there with mine.

13. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

Yeah I flipped him over. Just checked, still in the same place...

14. Gekco

How long ago did you flip him? I know my moms snails sometimes take 4-5 hours to come out of their shells.

15. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I have read that snails can stay in one place for a long time. Being new to the tank, it may think it is hiding.

16. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Take it out and smell it. If it's dead, you'll know it. There is nothing to worry to much about right now though. Snails, plecos, otos hang out on filters all the time will no ill effects.

17. OP
    OP
    jmoneyisback

It was on the heater, not the filter. But it moved, so it's all good.

18. CindiL

Mine get on the heater sometimes too and I think, eventually they must get off right? right? right? lol. It hasn't killed any of them yet so I figure they must figure out its hot and get off.

19. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Sorry. I mis-typed. I meant to say that snails, plecos, and otos hang out on heaters all the time with no problems. If the snail is dead, it was not from the heater.

Glad that it's inching around your tank again.

20. Gekco

Well, it depends on the heater you actually have some run cool. I know mine (fluval m) doesn't really get that hot.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice