Cleaning Polishing Pads

e24601wu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been using polishing pads for my filter and I was wondering how to clean them. I know they can be soaked in bleach. What concentration would I use, how long, and what would I do afterwards? Thanks.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should just rinse them in old tank water and that’s it. It will get all the gunk out.

If you bleach it you could ruin the B.B. in the tank when it carries over into your system.

e24601wu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rinsing them in tank water won't be enough to get the gunk out, as the holes in the pads are really small (100 and 50 micron). I had researched a bit and found out that the pads could be bleached and then soaked in a Prime solution later, and was wondering if someone had the exact figures.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bleach at a 5 to 1 ratio. 5 parts water to 1 part bleach. How many pads in the filter? What polishing filter are you using? If this is your regular filter I would bleach 1 pad at a time if you must. In regular filters I rinse in wc water. It won’t be white clean but it will be clean enough. If you need to bleach. Clean one install a new one and let the cleaned one dry for about a week than repeat.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, What kind of filters are you using?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just throw them away and replace with new ones.

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use pillow batting. Just throw it away when it's too dirty. That stuff is cheap. I got a big bag of it for around $5

glenCOCO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1

If you go this route make sure it doesn’t say fire resistant. That would mean that the batting was treated

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never heard of pillow batting. But I just use filter floss, same idea just throw it out every 5 weeks when I do filter maintenance. Works great, very cheap. One bag last years.

e24601wu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I do have filter floss and will probably start using it when I finish up with the polishing pads I have now. Thanks for the advice.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads