Cleaning Plastic plants

HarleyQuinn19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI y'all. It's been awhile. I've been keeping up with the water changes and rinsing the filter etc.

Tomorrow my 11yo and 13yo will be helping me with the WC, testing the new water (should I test before and after?) and making snail jello. When I rinse my filter there's always stuff that kind of looks like a mix of dissolved food and something else but it doesn't come off with the swishing of the filter. Should I just rinse off what I can, in the tank water, and leave the rest? Or should I attempt to scrape it off? (I'll post photos in the morning.)

Also I have plastic plants because my tank is small and I've got about the blackest thumb known to man. Seriously. Anyway, as I was preparing stuff for tomorrow I noticed some light brown stuff on the current stiff plastic plants; almost like someone sponge painted it on. On my anemone there are a few brown spots but not a lot.

Can I clean that off? If so, what is the safest way? Something similar to the filter?

*Should* I clean that off? If I shouldn't clean them off and just replace them, is there a way to keep the brown stuff from returning?

Or is that just a part of the cycle as I'm adding Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus?

Aside from those small issues everyone in the tank is doing great. Tigress, my nerite snail, keeps laying eggs on my sticks. ShI Fu and Oogway clean them up. It's a constant cycle with those three. :rolleyes:

I had a pregnant shrimp but now all my ghost shrimp are gone. :(

And I'm happy to report it has been a month since Oogway's last escape attempt. :rolleyes:

As always thanks in advance for the help.
Ttfn,
:pHarley:cool:

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are keeping a betta tank, remove the plastic plants before fins get ripped and add silk plants instead. brown algae can be easily rubbed off. waste on the filter cartridge can be scrapped and squeezed off. if you can fit a second filter cartridge into your filter. then you can rinse one cartridge every few months if needed in fast moving hose or faucet water to get it very clean if it seems necessary to do this.

newbywho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As noroomforshoe said the brown stuff is just diatoms ( brown algae ) wipe it away and if it precisest you can always get some algae control chemicals. You should do a water test before the water change that will give you a good indication of how much water needs to be change and if you fill like it need to be done test after the change till you get comfortable with your water chemistry. Add you water condition to the water before putting it in the tank and if you want to give it a shot these plants are super esy to grown need low light and little knowledge.
Brazilian Micro Sword,Difformis Baby Leaf Fern,Mainam Anubias be hard pressed to kill them with little knowledge

DannyPritchett01

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree. Anubias is one of those plants that seems to grow no matter if taken care of or forgotten as long as it gets some light.

Nobote

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont kill yourself cleaning a filter...sponge , pad, or otherwise.
You just want to clean it enough to allow good water flow. Some of that cisible gunk in there are bacterial colony buildup...some of it it just general detritus.

If diatoms get to be a big issue in your aquarium you can try using Flourish excel or using H2o2 as a prophylaxis. Water with silicate content seems to promote diatom growth...so your tap water may be the culprit.

OP
HarleyQuinn19

HarleyQuinn19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nobote said:
Dont kill yourself cleaning a filter...sponge , pad, or otherwise.
You just want to clean it enough to allow good water flow. Some of that cisible gunk in there are bacterial colony buildup...some of it it just general detritus.

If diatoms get to be a big issue in your aquarium you can try using Flourish excel or using H2o2 as a prophylaxis. Water with silicate content seems to promote diatom growth...so your tap water may be the culprit.
What are diatoms? And how exactly do I know if I do or don't have them?

I'll look into those plants next pay. Will they only grow to the room available because like I said I only have a 3 gallon tank and I don't want to further overload it - I already have 1 male betta, 2 apple snails (1 smaller and 1 medium size) and a nerite snail. Sadly, my shrimp are gone. :(

Thanks again guys!

I didn't know a little tank would require so much work etc but it's so rewarding to see my Panda :panda: happy and swimming. Although I think I'll get some more shrimp soon because he enjoyed "booping" them in a playful non-aggressive way. :rolleyes: lol

Nobote

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Diatoms are a brown organism simomar to algae. They usually show up in newer aquaria. If water is high in silicates they will flourish...they ise silicates as a building block. If you jave normal water they will usually disappear as real algae outcompetes them.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Moss is also pretty impossible to kill. I think there are a lot of people who have even had success with it using ambient light. There are a lot of varieties (Java moss, weeping, Christmas, flame, Taiwan, etc.) and often local aquarists will sell you a handful for a few bucks.

New Threads