Cleaning plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by guster730, Jan 7, 2013.

1. guster730

guster730Valued MemberMember

For some reason I keep getting this brown stuff on my plants leaves, also on my filter intake tubes and a tiny bit on the glass. It's easy to clean off the filter and glass but what I've done in the past is take out all the plants and scrub the leaves with a toothbrush. I'm not sure what's causing this brown stuff to form. Not sure if it's some sort of algae or just dirt. I do weekly 25% water changes and my water is crystal clear.. Is it possible to dip the plant leaves in a solution of bleach or would that just kill it? I can take a picture of a dirty leaf when I get home later.

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    If the tank is fairly new(under a year) it's probably diatoms. Diatoms are normal in a new tank.
    What fish do you have in your tank?
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    guster730

4. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like diatoms to me. I just rub them off - plants still in tank. You could consider ottos to eat it if your tank isn't overstocked

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Yep sounds like diatoms :) When you add water you can also pour water over your plants and that may rinse them off a bit otherwise just rub it off.
    depending on tank size i don't think I would add anymore fish.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    guster730

Yeah I'm overstocked as it is. I guess I'll just have to deal with it and clean them off.