Cleaning outside glass Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Jrobber, Apr 11, 2010.

1. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

The outside of my tank is dirty from water changes and such. What's the best way to clean the outside glass, because I've been told not to use windex?

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I spray windex on a paper towel, then wipe the glass. Never spray it directly on the glass, droplets could get into the tank.
    If you have an acrylic tank, use a soft cloth.

3. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

I get a paper towel damp and pour a bit of vinegar onto it to clean the glass. The vinegar is slightly acidic so it helps to remove the water deposits, not to mention the fact that it does not set off my asthma like many cleaning products do. Something else you might try is a 1:1 mix with ammonia and water and a splash of isopropol alcohol. And, as Lucy stated, do not spray it directly onto the tank to avoid contaminating the water.

4. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Alright, thanks guys.

5. blasto172Valued MemberMember

I've been using brilliianize with a microfiber cloth, it cleans and polishes and gives the glass a nice shine with out too much glare. As for as the home brews I'd probably stay away from the ammonia and just use alcohol. When I clean windows on jets at work I'll either use brilliianize or a 50/50 water/ isopropol alcohol mix. they both get the windows clean, the brilliianize just gives the window a better appearance.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  6. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

This is what I do also. Sometimes, if the marks on the tank aren't bad, I just use a wet paper towel to wipe the marks off, and a dry paper towel to dry off the glass. As Lucy said, soft cloths are much better than paper towels if you have an acrylic tank. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice